Officers to receive national award

Two members of the Madison Police Department will receive honorable mentions at this year's TOP COPS Awards in Washington, D.C., May 12.

Officers Kip Kellogg and Kirby Harless were selected to receive two of the event's 59 honorable mentions. The awards, which honor law enforcement officials who have greatly contributed to their communities, are sponsored by the National Association of Police Organizations.

"It's definitely an important award, but the chief's stance would be that every day is a heroic day that officers serve," said Mike Hanson, public information officer for the MPD. "There're a lot of good deeds that go unnoticed at the police department."

The two officers were nominated by fellow officer Jean Papalia in relation to an April 2006 incident at a BP gas station on Williamson Street. Kellogg and Harless were called to the scene after a man locked himself in the gas station restroom. According to an MPD release, the man, who was found using cocaine, called 911 to report people were attempting to kidnap him.

When the officers arrived, the man, who was later identified as Victor Montero-Diaz, lunged at Kellogg and Harless with a knife. When the officers tried to disarm the Montero-Diaz, he inflicted "serious bite wounds" to Harless.

When the officers were unable to disarm or subdue Montero-Diaz with a Taser, Kellogg shot him. Montero-Diaz died at the scene after Harless attempted to provide "life-saving aid."

According to the MPD, the man was suffering from "some hallucinations or delusions just prior to this incident."

Hanson said this is not the first time the MPD has been honored with a significant award for the service of its officers.

"The year or two before, the three officers that were involved in a shooting at the Red Caboose Day Care Center won an award," Hanson said.

The TOP COPS ceremony will be hosted by John Walsh of "America's Most Wanted."