Students pick Grosskopf as ‘chief’

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]SJ-leadership-JS[/media-credit]The University of Wisconsin's student judicial body announced its new leaders for next semester at Monday night's meeting.

Student Judiciary, part of the Associated Students of Madison, met Monday to elect the Student Judiciary for fall 2007. Former Chief Justice Josh Tyack's term came to a close and former Vice Chief Justice Sol Grosskopf was voted the new chief justice. Several justices expressed the need to simplify ASM procedure to garner more student interest.

The ASM Student Judiciary oversees ASM elections and rules on disputes between the Associated Students of Madison and other parties. The Student Judiciary is comprised of eight student justices — each appointed by the Nomination Board and the Student Council. Student Justices serve two-year terms.

Grosskopf expressed hopes of clarifying student government procedure.

"I think we can get a lot accomplished next year," Grosskopf said. "We can clean up our procedures, make everything a little bit more clear and efficient, and hopefully have a productive year."

UW junior Shaun Hernandez, who formerly served as associate justice, was voted in as vice chief justice. Acknowledging that the Student Judiciary will be an experienced one come the fall, Hernandez emphasized the potential to run a more efficient court.

"I feel that I have learned quite a bit over the last two semesters," Hernandez said. "I look forward to serving as vice chief justice."

UW junior Leah Moe was voted in for a second term as associate justice chair. Looking forward to the fall, Moe hopes to increase the number of candidates running in ASM elections and increase voter turnout.

Grosskopf said there are too many bylaws within ASM, and that he hopes to make the process of student government clearer for students.

"We want to run a clean court that will clear up some of the hard-to-understand legislations that we have in our constitution," Grosskopf said. "I know that students have a lot of questions on how the laws of ASM work, and if we can simplify them so everyone can understand them, more students will get involved in ASM."

Moe, who works closely with the Student Elections Committee, expressed the need to get students more interested in elections by making elections more competitive.

"That's our big goal — to have no uncontested races," Moe said. "We think if we can do that, voter turnout will take care of itself."

Those elected to Student Judiciary join newly elected UW junior Gestina Sewell as ASM Student Council chair and UW junior Alex Gallagher, the 2007-08 chair of the Student Services Finance Committee.