Baldwin in Madison today

Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., will speak with the University of Wisconsin community tonight in an effort to collaborate with the university in the fight against global warming.

The forum, hosted by the Nelson Institute and the Wisconsin Public Interest Research Group, two environment advocacy organizations, will focus on both environmental and social issues. The public is invited to attend the event in Room 2103 of Chamberlin Hall at 7 p.m. tonight.

WISPIRG campus organizer Rick La Torra said the forum is part of the Big Red Go Green Campaign — a WISPIRG initiative to push UW leaders to combat the global energy crisis by increasing energy-efficient practices on campus.

La Torra said with the increasing attention surrounding global warming, WISPIRG wanted to bring Baldwin in to hear what she had to say on the issue.

"We know that global warming is becoming more and more of an issue, and people are demanding that our government take action," La Torra said. "So we want to hear from our politicians to hear what they're going to do to combat global warming."

The event will serve multiple purposes, according to La Torra, who said the group wanted to educate the public about global warming. La Torra also said the event will kick off with an introduction by Baldwin, which will include information for students on how to get involved in the Big Red Go Green campaign and other campus efforts to improve energy efficiency.

UW freshman Gabrielle Hinahara, the co-coordinator for the Big Red Go Green campaign, said Baldwin's appearance will connect student efforts to government efforts against global warming.

"There is such a growing student movement right now on campus in the fight against global warming," Hinahara said. "[Baldwin] being here shows that fight is happening on a federal level."

For Baldwin, the forum is an important part of the Wisconsin Idea, according to Baldwin Press Secretary Jerilyn Goodman. The Wisconsin Idea advocates that the government and the university collaborate on social and economic problems.

Goodman said Baldwin wants the Wisconsin Idea to help guide Congress in their response to the climate change challenge. According to Goodman, Baldwin is "anxious" to engage students in the political process whenever she can and believes that they, along with many other university resources, can be valuable in solving issues facing the community.

"Solutions to global warming are going to have to come from every corner," Goodman said. "This is a global crisis — it is evident in and affects every aspect of our lives."