New paint job for city’s Metro buses

Madison Metro unveiled two new "fully-wrapped" buses covered completely in advertisements Tuesday morning, and the flashy twist on bus advertising can currently be seen on bus routes around the city. The increased advertising is one solution to the challenges Madison Metro is encountering in the face of rising gas prices. The new ads covering the bus should help generate additional revenue, according to Julie Maryott-Walsh, Madison Metro's marketing customer services manager. Current funding sources for Metro come from federal, state and local governments. If there is not enough federal money to support Metro, property taxes make up the difference, according to Maryott-Walsh. "The federal dollars haven't been what they used to be," Maryott-Walsh said. "As a result, it's been a burden on the property tax payer." George Twigg, spokesperson for Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, said the mayor was initially unenthusiastic about the wrapped buses but now supports them. "He feels given the challenge Metro is facing financially, it's a reasonable thing to try to do," Twigg said. "It generates additional revenue without having to raise fares or reduce service." And according to Maryott-Walsh, the fully-wrapped buses will not go unnoticed. "They definitely stand out because they are bright and colorful, and because they're different and they're unique, which is good for the advertiser," Maryott-Walsh said. The two buses are part of a trial period, Maryott-Walsh added, and they will be circulating throughout the city on different routes. More of these buses will likely be added, but there will be a maximum of 15 fully-covered buses that will be allowed. Twigg said the mayor's office is pleased Metro has found a way to improve its bottom line without having to raise fares or drop routes. A healthy bus system is very important to students and citizens alike in Madison, according to Twigg, and is "the backbone" of Madison's public transportation. "It is very important that we do what we can to keep Metro strong," Twigg said. "Innovations like bus wraps are a way to do that." — Courtney Johnson contributed to this report.