Library Mall to add Subway, coffee shop

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]LibraryMall_JS[/media-credit]University of Wisconsin students will have even more dining options on State Street come August when a new Subway restaurant and Bean Boulevard Café are added under the Presbyterian Student Center.

Mark Elsdon, executive director and co-pastor at the Pres House, announced the restaurant choices Tuesday and said the space — including both Subway and the Café — would be able to seat about 50 people in total.

The new space, located at 731 State St., just off Library Mall, will feature an outdoor patio, as well.

The biggest factor in choosing the commercial tenants, Elsdon said, was providing an environment that would be alcohol-free for students.

Even so, the Pres House received notice from a variety of venues interested in the space, though he said almost all wanted to serve alcohol.

"The overriding factor in our decision was wanting some restaurant that wouldn't serve alcohol," Elsdon added.

And since both establishments will be located below the new Pres House apartment complex, Elsdon said it is possible there could be a deal between the restaurant owners and residents for either a discount or some type of meal card.

However, he added that decision depends on the relationship between the Pres House and restaurant owners, who have yet to work any details out.

Both of the restaurants are locally owned, and Subway franchisee Vimal Patel said he also owns the Subway on the 400 block of State Street. However, he said there are no plans to replace the Subway on the 400 block, especially since the restaurant under the Pres House will feature more menu items.

Patel said the new Subway would be open longer, and feature a breakfast menu with wraps and egg sandwiches.

"It will be two separate counters … so when you walk in, there's going to be two separate lines for each (restaurant)," Patel said. "We're doing wireless Internet, so it's going to be like a café."

Bean Boulevard Café will offer coffee drinks, espresso and pastries.

UW sophomore Kerry Wall said even though there is already a Subway on State Street — as well as another further down University Avenue — it would be a good, central location for another restaurant.

"I don't mind that it's another Subway that's going in, because honestly, I love Subway," Wall said. "But I would prefer it to be a locally owned, non-chain restaurant. … I'm just glad it's not another Starbucks."