MPD on lookout for thief

The Madison Police Department made headway in an investigation of a string of robberies at four convenience stores Feb. 14.

According to a release, police developed "probable cause" and named Anthony Chancy, a 36-year-old black man, as a suspect of several counts of armed robbery.

MPD Public Information Officer Mike Hanson said detectives and investigators working on the case were able to develop suspicion after reviewing surveillance videos at the stores.

"It's been diligent detective work," Hanson said. "The surveillance videos we received, they've been fruitful to the investigators."

Chancy is listed at 5 feet 6 inches tall and 160 pounds, and had braids at the time of the robberies, but may have cut them for shorter hair.

"Chancy is considered armed and dangerous," the press release said, and Hanson added the suspect may still have possession of a weapon.

The robberies on Valentine's Day occurred at the Clark gas station on Park Street, the BP gas station on East Washington Avenue, the Open Pantry on West Beltline Highway and the Citgo gas station on Sherman Avenue.

Representatives from none of the stores were available for comment Thursday.

At each location, a man entered the convenience store, demanded money and fled on foot, according to MPD press releases.

"For some of these robberies he displayed a weapon," Hanson said. "So people should use extreme caution."

Hanson added Chancy is currently the only suspect in the case, though the investigation is ongoing, and police initially believed two individuals were working together to commit the crimes.

According to court documents, Chancy already had incidents with the law within the last ten years.

His charges include felonies for failing to pay child support and substantial battery, as well as misdemeanors for obstructing an officer, bail jumping, battery and disorderly conduct.

But according to Hanson, the previous history has not been addressed in the investigation, as detectives derived their suspicions solely on evidence they obtained.

While Assistant District Attorney Mike Verveer could not talk on the specific case, he said in a general sense, past criminal histories are often taken into consideration in court.

"Generally … the criminal histories will be taken into account," Verveer said. "If the suspect has had history, he has a higher likelihood of being sentenced."

Police believe the suspect is still in the Madison area, Hanson said, and anyone with information about Chancy's whereabouts is encouraged to call 911.