UW’s fallen soldier

Jon St. John II, a former University of Wisconsin-La Crosse student, was killed near Baghdad Saturday while serving in the Iraq war for the U.S. military.

"My memories of Jon include being a typical high school student who had a ton of friends and loved a good time," said Sue Simonsen, St. John's former principal at St. Mary Central High School. "I am proud to have known this young man who now will be a part of our memories for his service to our country."

St. John is one of 69 Wisconsin soldiers who have died in Iraq since the conflict began, according to the Iraq Coalition Casualty Count.

According to an interview with The Associated Press, Jon St. John Sr. said his son was deployed to the Middle East in June 2005 and operated machine guns atop a Humvee for the 1st Cavalry Division from Fort Hood, Texas.

After being contacted by The Badger Herald, the St. John family said they wished not to comment on their loss.

Before enrolling at UW-La Crosse, St. John, 25, attended UW-Fox Valley from 1999-2004.
Rhonda Uschan, UW-Fox Valley assistant dean of student services, said the situation had many at the school distraught.

"It's tragic; we're very saddened about the loss," Uschan said. "And our condolences go out to the family and friends of Jon."

According to Uschan, St. John had studied pre-business while attending Fox Valley and earned a number of credits.

St. John seemed to have touched the hearts of many teachers, including Allan Clarke, his former St. Mary Central High School math and science teacher.

According to a letter Clarke sent to the Appleton Post-Crescent, St. John had worked in close proximity with the teacher in order to receive extra help with math.

In the letter, Clarke wrote he was extremely proud of St. John after he put in the extra effort and passed the class.

"And when we shook hands to finalize the grade and the class, he became, at that instant, one of the finest gentlemen I have ever met," Clarke wrote in the letter. "I could see it in his eyes and in his smile."

Calling St. John's death "tragic," UW-La Crosse Director of Public Relations Cary Heyer said the university has already sent its condolences to the family.

"I think any time you lose a student, it's striking to a campus," Heyer said. "Particularly someone so young."

Despite his tragic end, Heyer said St. John's duties reveals something about his character.
"He was in Iraq and died doing something honorable," Heyer said. "It's important to remember individuals are the ones over there, and we wish the best to his family."