First campus attack of 2007

Madison police are on the hunt for a woman suspected of robbing an 18-year-old man on Langdon Street early Sunday morning with a male accomplice.

According to a Madison Police Department release, the victim was walking along the 100 block of Langdon Street at approximately 4:22 a.m. Jan. 28 when the female suspect stepped out of an approaching vehicle and "implied" she was holding a weapon.

The male suspect then reportedly approached the victim and demanded money from him, which he handed over.

After ordering the victim to walk away from the scene, both suspects reportedly drove off in a red SUV.

Sunday's incident is the first recorded street crime of the spring semester in a campus area that witnessed multiple violent attacks last fall.

"I am saddened that here we are at a new semester and we're dealing with street-level crime again," said Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, who is also a Dane County assistant district attorney.

Verveer added the attack is particularly disturbing because the victim was reportedly visiting his sibling at UW and is considering enrolling in the university himself.

"It sends a real nasty signal," Verveer said. "Hopefully this problem will go away."

MPD Lt. David Jugovich added that he has not encountered many cases in his career in which a female is the primary robbery suspect.

"In my experience, in terms of robberies and crimes like that, it isn't all that often it happens to be a female," Jugovich said, quickly adding that it was only his perception and he does not have any "hard facts to back up" his sentiment.

No injuries resulted from the robbery, according to the release, and the investigation is still ongoing.

The release described the first suspect as a 5'8", 140 lb. white woman with blond hair, and the second suspect as a 5'6" black man in his mid-30s.

The MPD requests anyone who has information regarding the case to contact Crime Stoppers at 266-6014.