School fixes on retention rates

University of Wisconsin-River Falls has developed a new office to help first-year students with what can be an overwhelming adjustment to college life.

The First Year Experience office was started this year at UW-River Falls to sponsor various programs that integrate freshmen and transfer students into the university culture so they can succeed. The office is an information resource with support services for students who might be in unfamiliar territory. The new office's goal is to improve the university's retention rate by making student life easier.

"[FYE] specifically focuses on first-year students," said Alan Tuchenhagen, executive director of enrollment at UW-RF. "It also focuses on new student registration, orientation and a whole variety of issues related to first-year students. They are a high priority."

FYE co-directors, Miriam Huffman and Sara Egerstrom, are experienced in dealing with issues relevant to first-year students. Egerstrom previously worked in the admissions office and currently coordinates orientation services, while Huffman has been involved in welcome events on campus, as well as other student events.

FYE is still in the preliminary stages to see whether it is sustainable for the future.

"What we've done is launch a pilot this year," Tuchenhagen said. "We've asked for money to support the office on an ongoing basis. This year is a trial to see how it's working."

If the program works, Tuchenhagen hopes the UW System will support the program monetarily.

"This year we used some carryover funds," Tuchenhagen added. "And we have a proposal into the UW System to fund this on an ongoing basis, but we wanted to jumpstart it with the carryover funds."

According to Jocelyn Milner, director of academic planning and analysis at UW-Madison, programs like FYE have been running at UW-Madison for years.

"We do have a complex of programs that are like that, and they operate across campus," she said.

"There are things like residential learning communities, first-year interest groups and special courses for new students. UW-Madison has been kind of a leader in this area — these are things that we've been doing for, frankly, a long time."