Judge ‘books’ former running back into jail

A Dane County judge sentenced former University of Wisconsin running back Booker Stanley to one year in jail for sexually assaulting an ex-girlfriend.

Stanley appeared in court Monday, where Dane County Circuit Court Judge Robert DeChambeau ordered that Stanley also complete counseling for alcohol abuse and domestic violence. In addition, Stanley is required to register as a sex offender in Wisconsin's statewide database.

Monday's sentence — which paired Stanley's jail time with work-release privileges and also handed him seven years of probation — came after Stanley was convicted over the summer of second-degree sexual assault, second-degree reckless endangerment and one count of bail jumping.

Stanley had previously faced more than 56 years in prison, but he was handed a considerably lightened sentence after the judge took into account his relatively clean record. Stanley, however, had also been offered a plea bargain of 45 days in jail and probation, which he turned down in hopes of a successful trial.

Although Stanley will not be facing the maximum sentence, Dane County Assistant District Attorney Mike Verveer said the probation time and work-release program does come with certain caveats.

"If [Stanley] makes mistakes and potentially creates other criminal acts during those seven years, his probation could be revoked and he could be re-sentenced," Verveer said.

Verveer added the work-release program is "very tightly controlled" and requires a pre-arranged and approved job before Stanley could be released into the community.

"You need a bona fide job," he said. "[Y]ou just can't be out roaming and on the honor system."

Stanley's sentence stems from charges filed after his ex-girlfriend reported in December 2005 that the former running back sexually assaulted her and attempted to strangle her. The woman did not attend Monday's sentencing.

In a written statement read aloud in court Monday, Stanley apologized to the university, as well as to his family and friends. His alcohol abuse "affected my career at Madison," Stanley said in the statement, according to The Associated Press.

— The Associated Press contributed to this report.