Group readies for Veteran’s Day Parade

Thirty groups will honor American veterans Saturday by participating in Madison's second annual Veteran's Day Parade.

Several posts of the American Legion, Vietnam Veterans Association and Vietnam Veterans of Wisconsin will be participating in the parade, which is scheduled to begin at noon at the Capitol and travel down State Street, ending at Library Mall. World War I re-enactors are expected to fire rifles and play "Taps" at the conclusion of the parade.

Veteran's Day Parade coordinator and University of Wisconsin junior Brandon Sivret, who also helped spearhead this year's Halloween Action Committee, said the parade is being held to show respect for American soldiers who served in the past, are serving now or will serve in the future.

"We want the public to be aware that there is a strong presence of veterans on campus and in the entire city," Sivret said.

Since the inaugural parade last year, Sivret and UW senior Bob Thelen have met with the UW Arnold Air Society and UW Silver Wings, according to Sivret.

Sivret and Thelen have also been having bi-weekly meetings with the Madison Area Veteran's Council and the State Department of Veterans Affairs to organize this year's parade, which will mostly be led by students.

"Last year's parade had a very small turnout with about 40 people," Sivret said. "This year will be a building year, and more people are aware of the parade. So far, there are 350 people who have registered."

Sivret added that U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., is expected to march in the parade.

The 32nd Wisconsin National Guard Band and "Madison's Bravest and Finest Bagpipers" will play during the parade, Sivret said. He added car dealerships in the area have agreed to donate vehicles for some National Guard units to drive with their families during the parade. Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 7591 will have a float, saluting veterans.

Thelen, who helped plan the logistics of the parade and set up press releases, said the parade route will be different this year from last year.

"Last year, the parade started at James Madison Park, while this year we will be on State Street the entire time," Thelen said. "By being on State Street, we will probably get more viewers and participants."

Thelen said that according to the Chancellor's office, there are 600 veterans on the UW campus, and he hopes to provide a supportive environment for them.

"Even though many people will be watching the football game in Iowa, we hope people come out to support us during halftime," he said.

Along with policemen and a fire truck, the marchers are arranged in chronological order of the country's wars up to the war in Iraq. At the head of the parade will be Sons of the American Revolution, followed by Civil War re-enactors wearing vintage uniforms, WWI re-enactors, WWII veterans, Vietnam veterans and then Iraq veterans.