Doubletree drowning eludes police officers

The Madison Police Department found a man dead in the pool of the Doubletree Hotel on West Johnson Street early Sunday, but officials are left in the dark about details surrounding the ongoing investigation.

MPD Sgt. Jim Dexheimer said officers responded to the Doubletree Hotel around 7:30 a.m. Sunday to what appears to have been a drowning in the hotel's indoor pool. He said the 24-year-old man has yet to be identified, but the coroner's office will most likely release his name Tuesday morning.

Police determined the man drowned by accident, Dexheimer added, but they have not ruled out the possibility of alcohol having played a role in the incident.

Dexheimer also said even though the drowning presumably happened very early Sunday morning, nobody seems to have any information about the event. The only other facts available about the accident, he said, are that the man was not a guest at the Doubletree Hotel, but was instead visiting people who were registered guests.

"The coroner's office will release the man's name and other information [Tuesday]," Dexheimer said. "But the toxicology results will probably take much longer."

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, whose district includes the Doubletree Hotel and the surrounding area, said he is among the officials who have not gotten any information or even word of the accident.

The Doubletree Hotel declined comment on the issue Monday night, but said the hotel's manager would be available for comment Tuesday morning.