Speaker voices against public education

[media-credit name=’GREGORY DIXON/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]collegeReps_GD[/media-credit]A nationally recognized expert in education policy spoke about education in state schools to the University of Wisconsin College Republicans in Grainger Hall Tuesday night.

Brother Bob Smith, President of Milwaukee's Messmer Catholic Schools, a kindergarten through 12th grade system that serves more than 1,000 students, said he's concerned with the current status of public education in Wisconsin.

"There is nothing wrong with public schools," Smith said, "except that they need to be 'good' public schools."

Smith put an emphasis on the public school system in Milwaukee, saying that they have a 50 percent dropout rate. In addition, the dropout rate is significantly higher for minorities, especially Hispanics and blacks, and Smith said that this is not the biggest problem.

What is most concerning, Smith argues, is that the average grade of a Milwaukee public school high school graduate is a D+.

"We as adults need to take control," Smith said, adding the students are running the schools.

Smith proposed that kids reach past language requirements and learn several languages to become successful in business and simple interaction with global cultures. He also emphasized that currently, even at the university level, students are simply taught to memorize instead of to think on their own.

Concerned that Milwaukee schools and other large public school systems are being overlooked by the present governing administration, Smith reflected on what he said were the many beneficial educational policies that former Gov. Tommy Thompson passed. He said he hopes that the governor elected this fall will continue in Thompson's footsteps.

A supporter for Republican candidate U.S. Rep. Mark Green, Smith urged the audience to become involved in both the political community and voting.

"The biggest problem is apathy and not getting involved," Smith said. "It makes a difference who wins."

Smith added that students, like those at UW who oppose Democrats, will hold the power to sway the vote in favor of Green.

"Voters scare these guys, and women scare these guys," he added, suggesting that the "female voice" is the one the country is ready to hear. "The future of business will be led by women," he said.

A strong believer in governments run by women, Smith recognized that although the U.S. may not be ready yet, it will be soon, and candidates should be concerned with the female voter.

UW College Republicans Chair Erica Christenson was impressed with Smith's presentation.

"[Smith] gave us facts about Milwaukee schools that are brushed over by the Doyle administration," Christenson said.

Like many of the roughly 50 students in attendance, Christenson thought Smith gave a refreshing message — bold and candid at a time when there is so much at stake with the up-coming election.

But Doyle is the right candidate for education, said Eli Lewien, College Democrats of Madison chair.

"Governor Doyle has worked with Wisconsin schools, and Wisconsin is one of the best educational states in the country," Lewien said, adding that Gov. Doyle will bring money to schools and money will not be going into classrooms incorrectly. "Gov. Doyle is a candidate we want for Wisconsin's educational system."