State Street getting ‘freaky’

[media-credit name=’BRYAN FAUST/Herald Photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]HACMeeting_Bf[/media-credit]In preparation for next week's final vote on Halloween's re-branding initiative, two Madison alders teamed up with UW students Wednesday night at an informal town hall meeting to discuss their concerns.

The meeting, which took place in Bascom Hall, featured City Council President Austin King and Ald. Mike Verveer, District 8, as well as police officials and city business leaders.

A few dozen students attended the discussion to voice their outrage over the tentative Halloween plan, sharing possible ways to improve Mayor Dave Cieslewicz's pending resolution. King and Verveer welcomed the student suggestions, maintaining their commitment to saving Halloween — or, as it's increasingly referred to, "Freakfest on State Street."

"I think that's what the city needs right now is to hear the student perspective on this," King said in an interview, adding he was happy with the student turnout and participation.

Among the long list of student concerns were questions regarding the plan's proposed fence enclosure of State Street, the $5 admission charge and the process of buying tickets in advance. Students also worried about the displacement of Halloween rioting on nearby streets and wondered whether State Street residents would be forced to purchase a ticket simply to access their homes.

Verveer, who is a sponsor of the mayor's re-branding plan, expressed his appreciation of the student input, but added that much of the initiative has been blurred by rumors.

"I've heard a lot of concern and misconceptions of the plan," he said, referring to various rumors that police were going to perform Breathalyzer tests at the event's entrance points, or crack down more on underage drinking.

Likewise, Joel Plant, Cieslewicz's alcohol policy coordinator, addressed some of the rumors by detailing the main points of the mayor's proposed Halloween resolution.

According to Plant, people would be able to buy up to four tickets beginning in early October. Tickets would only be required for gaining admission to State Street on Saturday of Halloween weekend between 6:30 p.m. and midnight. While partygoers would be allowed to leave and return throughout the evening, they must do so before midnight, at which time the party would be closed to latecomers.

Additionally, State Street would be fenced off from Lake Street to Capitol Square, with 13 different points of entrance. State Street residents would be allowed to access their homes, provided they applied for a free pass before the event.

"It's not about killing fun. It's not about taking Halloween away," Plant insisted. "It's about putting structure into it."

While students were wary of the new plan for structure, Halloween Action Committee leaders Tom Wangard and Brandon Sivret expressed enthusiasm for re-branding the event in a manner that is student-geared. The team said they hope to promote the event as "Freakfest on State Street," looking to include festive activities and live music shows.

The duo originally joined forces through their Facebook group, "Move Halloween to Langdon 2006," and later evolved into HAC. With the mayor's office, they have been working to reform the original Halloween resolution, already successful in eliminating the former 50,000 cap.

Wangard and Sivret also emphasized the importance of getting involved in the Halloween plan, encouraging students to attend Tuesday's City Council meeting, where alders will offer amendments to the current resolution and vote on a final version of the re-branding initiative.

Also urging student involvement, Verveer and King said they are pleased with the new ideas they gathered as a result of Wednesday's meeting.

"Hopefully, we can take these comments and these suggestions and incorporate them in the resolution and really make some changes that will reflect the sentiments here tonight and make it a better party for everyone," King said, adding that he is certain to vote no on the resolution if it is not amended or revised.

According to Verveer, he hopes to meet with King, Plant and the mayor to discuss the possibility of drafting a substitute resolution before Tuesday's final vote.

While Verveer said he believes it would be possible to draft a much better resolution that takes into account student questions and concerns, he added that he would support the plan as it is currently written.

"I'm not absolutely ecstatic about it, but to me this is the best way to ensure the Halloween tradition continues," he said.