Risser celebrates 50 years in Capitol

This is the ninth part in a series profiling members of the Wisconsin state Legislature.

Surrounded by friends and colleagues Wednesday, Sen. Fred Risser, D-Madison, celebrated 50 years of service in the Wisconsin Legislature, becoming the longest serving state lawmaker in U.S. history.

The 78-year-old legislator was joined by fellow senators, the University of Wisconsin Spirit Squad and Bucky Badger himself, as the Legislature officially recognized Risser for his achievements.

"Today was a great example of … the majority party honoring a minority member for his contributions not only to the state Senate, but to the people that he's been representing for 50 years," said Todd Allbaugh, spokesperson for Senate Majority Leader Dale Schultz, R-Richland Center.

While the Senate had yet to debate a full agenda of bills, lawmakers took a break to pass a resolution honoring Risser, and to present the senator with a cake shaped like the state Capitol.

First elected to the Assembly in 1956, Risser later moved on to represent the city of Madison as state senator in 1962. Forty-four years later — and after serving as Senate president, president pro tempore, minority leader and assistant minority leader — he is still one of Madison's favorite lawmakers.

"It's a wonderful place to live," he said. "I've had a chance to travel quite a bit and I've been all over the world, but I can't think of any place I'd rather live than right here."

According to Risser, he has always viewed government as an engine for the people and has accordingly made education, health care and environmental protection his top priorities.

"The purpose of the government is to assist those who need assistance and help those who perhaps are not as fortunate as others," he said, adding he believes the Republican Party has largely forgotten these ideals.

Risser pointed to the controversial constitutional amendment that would limit state revenue as evidence of Republicans' misguided interests.

"To turn around and try to pass a constitutional amendment saying that we can't appropriate money for the needs of the state just doesn't make sense," he said. "We're not here to run a business, we're here to provide a service."

Republicans, however, have defended the measure as a responsible way to provide meaningful tax relief to Wisconsin citizens while also reining in excessive government spending.

But this effort to drastically scale back state government, Risser said, explains why Republicans have failed to accurately represent the major social concerns of the state, instead choosing to focus on issues like concealed-carry, capital punishment and gay marriage.

Throughout his legislative career, Risser said he has attempted to support more reasonable measures that protect the environment and enhance the university.

"The University of Wisconsin is one of the state's biggest engines. It's an economic giant as well as an intellectual giant," he said. "And it's, in my opinion, one of the most important things the state does."

Risser currently serves on the State Building Commission, which recently approved Gov. Jim Doyle's proposal to build an on-campus biotechnology research complex called the Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery.

His devotion to public service, Risser said, stems from a long line of family lawmakers, originating in 1867 when his great-grandfather was first elected. Since then, both his grandfather and father have also represented Madison in the state Legislature, making Risser a fourth-generation legislator. The Risser Justice Center, located on Capitol Square, was named in honor of the legendary family.

Although Risser said he doubts any of his three children will run for office, he added he has eyes on a couple of his grandchildren.

According to Risser, he was "born with a political spoon in [his] mouth," prompting him to follow in his family's footsteps.

"I became interested in politics at a very early age," he said. "And I knew when I was in grade school that I was going to be in the Legislature some day. I just knew it."

And his 50 years in the Legislature have not disappointed him. Risser said he has enjoyed participating in the policymaking process and encouraging people to become more involved.

"If you're in office, you're in office because you think you can do a good job," he said. "I don't think I've missed a legislative day since I've been here," he said. "It's good for the soul."