Legislators discuss university IT debacle

[media-credit name=’BYRAN FAUST/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]colleges_bf[/media-credit]State lawmakers grilled University of Wisconsin System officials Tuesday over the system's alleged mismanagement of its information technology audit and faculty disciplinary policy.

As UW System Executive Senior Vice President for Administration Don Mash testified in defense of the system's progress, some members of the Assembly Colleges and Universities Committee accused the system of working inefficiently at the expense of taxpayer dollars.

"Clearly something has gone terribly wrong," committee member Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, said, referring to the system's IT audit. "I think it's another example of the [UW System] Board of Regents being asleep at the switchboard."

The system recently drew fire from some Republican legislators for initially investing $26 million in the Lawson software system and then later deciding to consider Oracle PeopleSoft after the state Department of Administration urged further review. The DOA granted Oracle a state contract in February, prompting a public outcry after critics discovered the software company's top executives donated money to Gov. Jim Doyle's reelection campaign.

But Mash defended the system's decision, adding that despite the initial investment in Lawson, the system's chief information officers determined Oracle the better system. Additionally, Mash said, system officials decided it best to halt further investment in order to discuss a possible parallel implementation process with the DOA.

Committee members also asked UW System officials to provide updates on a number of other ongoing discussions within the Board of Regents, including considerations to merge the UW-Waukesha and UW-Milwaukee schools, examine the segregated fee system at the various campuses and determine a disciplinary policy for faculty members convicted of felonies.

Stemming from the scandal last fall in which three UW-Madison faculty members were convicted of serious felonies, state lawmakers criticized the system Tuesday for allowing the felons to remain on the payroll.

"No issue has harmed the UW more … than these three examples," committee member Rep. Robin Kreibich, R-Eau Claire, said.

But Mash said the Board of Regents is continuing to discuss the issue and is expected to complete a recommendation report by the end of this week. Mash added the Board is also expected to submit a final report on the possible UW-Waukesha and UW-Milwaukee merger by June.