Star Trek actor pushes equality

[media-credit name=’GREG SCHMITZ/Herald Photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]startrekguy_gs[/media-credit]George Takei, "Star Trek's" Captain Sulu, stopped in Madison Tuesday as a part of his nationwide tour working for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender equality. His efforts are on behalf of the Human Rights Campaign, America's largest civil rights organization.

Tuesday night, Takei visited with the campus and community, to focus students' attention on the importance of "being out and equal." He was joined by the rights campaign and the LGBT Campus Center.

"Diversity was one of the hallmarks of 'Star Trek,'" said Takei, who starred in the original "Star Trek" show that aired in 1966. "The Star Trek Enterprise was a metaphor for Star Trek earth, coming together and working together as a team."

Takei also paralleled his experience as a Japanese-American and his experience as a gay American to approach the issue of discrimination.

"What happened to Japanese Americans back then was an irrational hysteria," Takei said. "[T]he bombing was in Hawaii, not the West Coast, and what the LGBT community is facing today is the hysteria of a different kind — it is something that is un-American."

Another commonality that Takei indicated between Japanese Americans and LGBT Americans is that in both cases they have tried to suppress their identity.

"Because of Asian Americans' history, we don't want to stand out or call attention to ourselves," Takei said. "If an Asian family has LGBT members it was kept quiet, so what we need to do with LGBT community is to share our lives, to share the normality of our lives and the diversity of our lives because we are members of the family."

Takei believes that just like Japanese Americans, LGBT Americans will also gain full support and acceptance from society, and diversity in sexuality will be seen as normal.

The campaign works to educate Americans by working with corporations and lawmakers, supporting fair-minded candidates and ensuring safety for everyone who is out and open in their homes, communities and workplace.

Takei also noted the importance of the HRC is to change minds in American society through dialogue. Additionally, the campaign helps those in the LGBT community fully share their lives by being open with their identities.

Audience members said they appreciated Takei speaking so outright about LGBT issues.

"I think that it's great that this important public figure has openly come out in support of this issue at a critical time in our nation's history," UW freshman Jon Brzezinski said.

Members of the audience also referred to Takei as an inspiration.

Takei said he decided to come out to the press when California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed the same sex marriage bill after publicly expressing his support for the LGBT community.

Takei said that he needed to have an authentic voice and be credible in order to fully come out to the public.

The international response Takei received after his coming out was overwhelmingly positive, he added.

"I am proud to be a part of the Human Rights Campaign to advocate," Takei said. "We are going to make a stronger and truer democracy, and together with all fair-minded Americans we will boldly go where America has never gone before."