Undercover cops target Texas bars

Students looking for a good time at bars near the University of Texas may have more to worry about than hangovers, as undercover agents placed in bars target heavy drinkers with field sobriety tests.

The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission has been sending undercover policemen into bars to seek out overly intoxicated patrons. The goal of this project is to prevent incapacitated drunks from injuring themselves and others, but it's also in place to catch bartenders serving alcohol illegally to already intoxicated customers.

Carolyn Beck, public information officer for TABC, said the process is not as subjective as it sounds.

"We're looking for people who are exhibiting outward or obvious signs of intoxication," she said. "Those signs can include stumbling, slurred speech, not being able to walk a straight line, dropping things and being inappropriately loud or belligerent."

Once a bar patron has been identified by an undercover officer as being intoxicated, the officer waits to see if the bartenders at the establishment continue serving drinks to that person. If the undercover officer witnesses a possible illegal sale, a uniformed officer will take the patron outside to perform a standard field sobriety test. If the patron fails the test, he or she could then be arrested.

According to Beck, Breathalyzers are not used in these cases. Portable breath tests are used occasionally, but they are not as reliable as Breathalyzers and are not admissible in court.

Although the program has been in effect since 2001, many students are just now coming out with complaints, as most did not know about the undercover agents until recently.

Though it may be reducing the incidence of drunken driving, many people, including students, are not happy about the program.

Charles Roper, the coordinator of the Alcohol and Drug Education Program at UT, also noted the number of complaints, saying there has been a "very negative reaction" among students of nearby universities and other members of the community.

According to Roper, UT has an average binge-drinking problem compared to other schools, although it is "not as bad as Wisconsin," he noted.

"[Undercover agents] are not necessary for arresting people in bars," Roper said. "It's hard to make the assumption that people are 'too drunk.' It's awfully presumptuous."

But University of Wisconsin students don't need to worry about a similar program here, said a representative from the UW Police Department who requested to not be named.

"Being incapacitated by alcohol is a serious and dangerous problem, but generally people in that condition find us," he said. "We don't need to go looking for them."

According to the UWPD officer, the program in Texas is not something UW would implement, as he considers it to be unnecessary.