Madison, Monona, Mt. Horeb among sites for heated referendum

Madison residents will have the chance at next week's elections to voice their opinion on a referendum to withdraw all United States military personnel from Iraq.

The city of Madison will be one of 32 cities, towns and villages in Wisconsin to vote on the resolution April 4, which, while not legally binding, may have some influence on political policymakers in both the state and the nation.

"It's an opportunity for people to send a really strong message to Washington, … whether it passes or not," Ald. Austin King, District 8, said.

Debate on the issue continues to escalate as organizations from both sides campaign to inform voters of the upcoming election.

Supporters of the referendum, including the statewide organization Wisconsin Network for Peace and Justice, believe a passed resolution will have "some" influence on the national Congress.

"It's important for local people to set some limits of what the federal government can demand of us, especially concerning government spending and sending troops overseas," WNPJ Program Coordinator Steve Burns noted.

But some opposing organizations, including the regional group Vote No to Cut and Run, argue passing the referendum "undermines" the morale of the troops, according to VNCR President Wendy Fjelstad.

"Men and women in the military make a unique commitment … to the mission," she added. "The voters will have a chance to express and demonstrate whether or not the hometowns are going to stand steady behind them or not."

Burns said WNPJ wanted to schedule a debate with VNCR to "increase public discussion," but VNCR Vice President Sam Johnson said a debate was not necessary.

"[Organizations like WNPJ] are like two-year olds who throw a tantrum — you just have to let them play it out," Johnson added. "Their whole argument is really irrational; they just can't get over the fact that they lost the presidency."

While both sides argue the issue, support in local communities to create the referendums in the first place displays Madison's "collective brilliance" in encouraging other communities to bring troops home, King said.

And according to King, one can make a "safe" conclusion that the referendum will pass in Madison, especially with student support.

"Madison is weary of people who would send our friends and neighbors out to die. This war was sold to us on lies," he said. "For small communities … it's one of those areas where Madison leadership is trickling out to the rest of the state."

But Johnson added if students vote against the referendum, it will show support for the troops in a time when students do not have to face the prospect of a draft.

Both King and Johnson encouraged students to vote in the election next week, which typically generates a low turnout.

"This was citizen-initiated and citizen-driven, and that's why I think it's so powerful," King said.

The real voice, according to King, will come from the final vote of these smaller, local communities, which may or may not pass the referendum.

In Monona and Mt. Horeb, organizations from both sides have tried to inform voters of the upcoming vote, but Monona Peace Coalition Coordinator Christy Hrenak said the outcome in Monona is not clearly projected one way or the other.