Commission to raise parking rates

The Madison Transit and Parking Commission will hold a public hearing Tuesday to propose a raise in parking rates at parking-utility-operated lots, ramps and on-street meters.

According to Ald. Jed Sanborn, District 1, raising the prices of parking around the city is a necessary evil in order to cater to the Parking Commission's future plans.

"There are plans to work on several ramps around the city, including the possibility of a new ramp on State Street by the current Buckeye Lot next to Pizzeria Uno," he said. "Simply put, more revenue must be acquired in order to accomplish these tasks."

Along with the possible new State Street ramp, the replacement of the aging Government East parking structure near Wilson Street and the new fee assessed by the city for 10 percent of the on-street gross parking revenue also acted as motivation for the proposals, Sanborn added.

The Parking Commission also proposes changes in other parking-related issues around Madison. The street meters, currently enforced from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., are facing a longer enforcement period from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Also, while a lesser-used ramp such as the Overture Center Ramp has no proposed rate increase, the State Street-Campus Ramp, one of the city's busier parking lots, has a proposed per-hour rate of $1.10, up from its current rate of $0.85.

This change would bring in an estimated $275,000 in additional revenue.

Madison has not experienced a system-wide rate increase in parking ramp rates since January 2003.

Should the rates be approved, many students expressed frustration in the event of an increase.

UW sophomore Derek Goodman, who uses a car in Madison during the school year, said campus parking is already a hassle.

"In my eyes, increasing the parking prices around campus will accomplish nothing but make it more frustrating," he said.

UW sophomore Dan Kaminski also said he would not be pleased if the increases for the parking rates are implemented.

"I'm an out-of-stater at school here, so I'm already paying loads for enrollment," he said. "On top of all that, I pay at least $50 a week to park my car around campus. Adding to that number is certainly not something I'm looking forward to."

Sanborn, though, feels that the increased rates are reasonable, and because of this feels that they will pass.

"While drivers in the area certainly won't be happy by the raise in the parking rates, the increase is an economic reality that we must face," he said. "Also, the fact that it is at times tough to find a parking spot shows that fares may actually be low in relation to demand."