Former blues site to house ‘Palace’

[media-credit name=’BRYAN FAUST/Herald Photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Palace_Latin_bf_416[/media-credit]A new bar and dance club will be opening in the City of Madison next week, and it promises to come full of Latin flavor.

The Palace Latin Club, which will be located at University Avenue and Campus Drive in the venue formerly occupied by Luther's Blues, will have its grand opening Feb. 9. Co-owned by brothers Javier and Martin Palacios, the club plans to offer the fun bar life common to downtown Madison, while also providing a Latin atmosphere unique from any other establishment in the city.

"During the day, our club will act as a sports bar, with all types of sporting events available for our customers to watch, including emphasis on soccer," Javier Palacios said. "On Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights we will open the dance floor and provide many sorts of Latin music, such as salsa and meringue … from either live bands or a DJ."

While it will start out as a 21 and older venue, Javier Palacios stated that he and his brother are pursuing a visual arts license that would allow all people 18 and older to enter. The establishment may receive this license within the next three months, he added.

Unlike the liquor restrictions imposed upon Luther's Blues, the Palace Latin Club did not receive any liquor license limitations, according to George Twigg, communications director for Mayor Dave Cieslewicz.

A number of liquor licenses awarded in previous years placed weekend drink special bans and some alcohol-free nights on specific establishments. However, these restrictions have been handed out less frequently of late in order to give new venues a good chance at succeeding, Twigg added.

"Despite claims that the sky is falling in terms of bar success in Madison, there has been continued success even with the smoking ban," Twigg said. "The opening of this new club shows that original opportunities are still available to be pursued."

According to Javier Palacios, he and his brother have aspired to operate a Latin-based club for the last three years.

"When we found out the location [previously occupied by Luther's Blues] was opening up, we could not be more pleased," Javier Palacios said. "There are a lot of young people in Madison, especially downtown, so we are looking forward to a nice crowd coming in."

Javier Palacios added the venue will hold a capacity of 450 people, which was suitable for him and his brother.

To promote the new club, the Palacios brothers have passed flyers around the University of Wisconsin campus and Madison area and will continue to do so for the next few months.

Twigg expressed optimism regarding the new club.

"Madison has become an increasingly diverse city, and it is important for the cultural opportunities it provides to reflect this," Twigg said. "A new bar such as the Palace Latin Club can only help bring in more diversity to both the UW campus, as well as the city itself."

Ald. Austin King, District 8, shared Twigg's sentiments.

"Latin dancing cuts across many cultures," King stated. "Not only should the club bring in a diverse base of ethnic groups, but it also should appeal to people of all sorts of ages."