Kennedy praises Lautenschlager

Political and environmental activist Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Wisconsin Attorney General Peg Lautenschlager joined forces Wednesday at the Madison Concourse Hotel, denouncing government corruption and the destruction of the environment.

Kennedy also backed Lautenschlager and her plans to run for a second term as the state's highest law-enforcement official.

"There's no attorney general who is better in the United States on the issues that I've been fighting for for 22 years than Peg Lautenschlager," Kennedy said.

Leaders at the state and local levels are crucial, Kennedy said, because officials at the federal level are not protecting American citizens, especially against pollution.

Not only did Kennedy speak in support of Lautenschlager, he also strongly advocated action to clean up the environment and overhaul President George W. Bush's environmental policies. Kennedy said abuse of the environment is detrimental to human health. He added many politicians are doing little to help stop pollution.

"We have seen a complete vacuum on federal enforcement of environmental laws," Kennedy said.

Preceding Kennedy's speech, Lautenschlager addressed her supporters and described her career thus far as the state's top cop.

"If an activist attorney general is one who advocates for choice, who fights against global warming, who fights against the under-funding of the horrible No Child Left Behind Act … then I am an activist attorney general, and I am proud of it," Lautenschlager said.

Early in 2004, Lautenschlager found herself on the opposite side of the law when she was arrested on charges of drunken driving. In the days following, she admitted the wrongdoing and later pled guilty to driving while intoxicated.

Additionally, Lautenschlager, a Democrat, does not have the full support of her party. Several Democratic state representatives called for Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk to challenge Lautenschlager for the Democratic nomination for the 2006 attorney general race Wednesday.

In a letter to Falk, 10 state legislators — including Reps. Jim Kreuser, Jon Richards, Mark Pocan and Pedro Colón — voiced concern that their party would lose the office to Republicans if the improper candidate is nominated.

"[W]e feel it is imperative that we have a strong Democratic leader to guide the Department of Justice in the future," the letter said. "We write because we feel that you are the best person to do that job, as Attorney General of Wisconsin."

However, Lautenschlager said her supporters in the state feel she "merits" a second term as attorney general.

"As your attorney general, it is my job to work for justice and fairness and opportunity for each and every citizen," Lautenschlager said. "And I am very proud of the accomplishments of the Wisconsin Department of Justice."

Former University of Wisconsin Regent Nino Amato also spoke in support of Lautenschlager, saying she has fought wrongdoing by state officials and "held their feet to the fire" to keep state government in line.

"Peg Lautenschlager is a uniter of the Democratic Party, not a divider," Amato said. "We need all the unity we can get … and if you believe in those critical values, whether you are Jim Doyle or Kathleen Falk, we need to join forces to make this thing happen."

Despite this support, the 10 Assembly Democrats touted Falk's career experience in law enforcement and her management abilities, which include her service as public intervenor for the state Department of Justice and her time in office as county executive.

"Kathleen, we need to field the strongest possible person to run for Attorney General next fall. You are that person," the letter stated. "We ask that you run for the Democratic nomination for Attorney General of Wisconsin."