UW No. 9 healthiest campus

The University of Wisconsin earned the No. 9 overall ranking for fittest college in Men's Fitness magazine's 'First Annual Fittest and Fattest Colleges in America,' a special report fielded by the Princeton Review.

The rankings compared how students at universities around the country fared in fitness, health, and nutrition.

To procure the rankings, the Princeton Review conducted a survey of 18 questions, receiving responses from nearly 10,000 students from over 660 schools across the country.

The survey asked questions ranging from how much weight students lost or gained over the course of a year, to bad habits and lifestyle choices. Students were also asked about their campus fitness culture and health opportunities provided to them by their school.

Susan Crowley, Director of Prevention Services and Community Relations at University Health Services, said the ranking reflects well on a multi-faceted campus that, despite party school publicity, is highly focused on health.

"It is good to hear a strong number of students are healthy representatives [of the school]," she said. "Except for heavy drinking, students look for good meal choices and take advantage of health opportunities, which is a good indicator of health."

Crowley said she believes the heath and fitness opportunities available at UW are a motive for the university's healthy ranking.

"There are lots of recreation options and outdoor nature areas available for participation," she said. "A lot has to do with geography, it creates opportunities for exercise, and students are taking advantage."

UW sophomore Andy Rebhun agreed, adding the multiple workout facilities on campus help him stay healthy amid college culture.

"There are lots of options on campus like the SERF (South-East Recreational Facility), NAT (Natatorium) and the Tennis Center," he said. "I just try and block out a time of thirty minutes to an hour each day to work out."

Rebhun said he stays fit through running on a regular basis, playing tennis and lifting occasionally, adding the regimen is not difficult while attending school and plenty of other students participate in similar activities.

"It seems like I always see people running on the lakeshore path, and the SERF is always crowded," he said.

While the UW and the City of Madison collectively strive to live a healthier lifestyle, Crowley said the most important way for students to stay healthy is, basically, to maintain a good diet and exercise.

"A good healthy balance is important. Some students have good skills, and many learn here, but there is still work to be done," Crowley said. "I hope [these rankings] will promote good health, because not all students take advantage of health opportunities."

Brigham Young University earned the top spot in the rankings as the healthiest university.

In comparison to UW's "drinking culture," students there live a Mormon lifestyle, which excludes caffeine, smoking, or alcohol.

Northwestern University was the only other Big Ten school to break the top 20, earning a No. 4 ranking.

Notably, the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse ranked No. 10 in the rankings.