Governor reduces state vehicles

The Wisconsin Legislative Audit Bureau reported Wednesday that the state’s vehicle fleet has decreased significantly under Democratic Gov. Jim Doyle’s Administration.

The report showed a 13.8 percent reduction in state-owned or leased vehicles from 7,734 automobiles in December 2001 to 6,669 in December 2004. The reduction is partly attributed to Doyle’s initiative to reduce the state vehicle fleet to generate more state revenue.

Though 958 vehicles — a total of $3.5 million in gross revenue — were sold under Doyle’s initiative, it is unclear how much of this money will be available to reduce the state’s $1.6 billion budget deficit after sales costs and outstanding debt are taken into account, according to the report.

The audit was conducted in response to questions by the Joint Legislative Audit Committee about the Department of Administration’s management of the state’s vehicle fleet, including the use, efficiency and maintenance of the state cars, trucks, vans and buses.

State Sen. Robert Cowles, R-Green Bay, was one of many legislators to request the audit. He is optimistic the reductions will result in savings.

“There are 260 people that had their own cars a year ago, and now they don’t — there’s savings there,” Cowles said. “I know … we’re moving in the right direction.”

Though Cowles believes the report was “very positive,” he said there are still many other points that should be addressed. When purchasing vehicles, the state needs to do a better job of factoring in maintenance costs each car will incur over its lifetime, Cowles said.

“In the audit … [vehicle] purchases weren’t looking at life cycle costs … or comprehensive maintenance costs, which have escalated,” Cowles said.

Also, individual use of state vehicles should be looked at as well, Cowles said.

Although University of Wisconsin Chancellor John Wiley leases his own car, he is given a $700 monthly vehicle allowance and reimbursement for business mileage, and Cowles believes the combination of both of these state funds is inappropriate.

“It seems like a double hit to me,” Cowles said.

However, Wiley believes the funds he receives are not excessive because offering a car as part of the employee-benefit package is standard for top university officials. The university must offer benefits such as these in order to remain competitive, Wiley added.

“If you call around to … most of the Big Ten universities, the compensation package for the chancellor or president includes salary, official residency and a vehicle,” Wiley said.

When Wiley was offered his job, the University Foundation donated a car to him, but after Doyle’s call to reduce the state vehicle fleet, the UW System restricted chancellors’ use of state automobiles.

Wiley received the $700 vehicle funds in return for giving up his car in August 2004.

“At the time I gave up the state-owned car — which the state didn’t pay for — [UW System President] Reilly did augment my salary by $700 in lieu of the car,” Wiley said. “But I consider that part of my salary.”

The LAB report issued a number of recommendations for the DOA to implement to further cut down the use of state vehicles and to improve management of the department.

The DOA plans to employ the report’s suggestions, such as improved accountability and reduced dependence on automobiles when conducting state business.

“We believe the LAB’s recommendations — along with the initiatives currently underway — will further strengthen the state vehicle fleet program,” said DOA Secretary Marc Marotta in a release.