Lab mistakenly ships deadly flu worldwide

Laboratories around the world are scrambling to destroy a deadly influenza virus that was mistakenly sent from the College of American Pathologists as part of routine test, according to World Health Organization officials.

Although there are currently no signs the strain is circulating in the human population, concerns have been raised about the potential for a global epidemic.

The virus, known as influenza A (H2N2), or the “Asian” strain, killed between one and four million people during a pandemic in 1957. This particular strain has not been included in influenza vaccines since 1968, and thus the population has no immunity for the pathogen.

Milwaukee Public Health Department was one of nearly 4,000 labs to have received the deadly strain, according to spokesperson Raquel Filmanowic.

“It is very uncommon for our laboratory to receive virulent strains such as this one — the specimens we receive are usually benign,” Filmanowic said. “It’s a colossal mistake.”

The health department received a sample of the flu specimen Feb. 22 as part of routine proficiency testing, Filmanowic said.

Health officials received word of the mistake only Tuesday and have since been frantically trying to determine how such an error could have occurred. According to the Centers for Disease Control, the proficiency testing usually only includes benign influenza strains currently circulating the population.

At this time, the Milwaukee Health Department is surveying other local departments in Wisconsin to see which laboratories received the strain so they can determine whether the virus was disposed of properly.

“We are asking for federal documentation so we know for certain that the specimen has been destroyed,” Filmanowic said.

Because the Milwaukee laboratory followed proper procedures and protocols, Filmanowic said they are not too concerned about human infection.

Only one lab scientist was in contact with the strain, she added.

Health officials are on alert for possible sicknesses in laboratory workers and are monitoring the situation, but WHO reports no infections of H2N2 yet.

Avian influenza

Concerns over yet another Asian virus, H5N1 avian influenza, are culminating as yet another human death was confirmed Tuesday by WHO officials. The death of an eight-year-old Cambodian girl marks the 80th death by the virus since January 2004.

The virus infections in Southeast Asia have resulted in a coordinated public health response both internationally and nationally due to the potential of H5N1 outbreaks in humans.

While the pathogenic virus typically infects birds, the pathogen has infected individuals in Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand with a 70 percent death rate.

The majority of individuals infected with avian influenza had very close contact with birds, bird droppings or had eaten a food made with uncooked poultry products, according to CDC spokesperson Jennifer Morcone.

Although the deadly virus has not yet reached the United States, the CDC is preparing for the possibility of a pandemic.

“[Avian influenza] is not circulating in the U.S.,” Morcone said. “But certainly there are concerns about the potential for more widespread infections across the globe.”

Morcone said past influenza pandemics have resulted in a high death toll and social disruption, and thus there is “quite a bit being done” to prepare for a larger outbreak, including coordination with state and local health departments.

Wisconsin Department of Health Epidemiologist Tom Haupt said the state health department has been working on a response plan with local health agencies to ensure coordination if an outbreak occurs in Wisconsin.

“We are trying to go above and beyond national recommendations for this,” Haupt said. “We have increased surveillance … so anyone returning from Southeast Asia and experiencing respiratory symptoms should be tested.”

Haupt said since January, the state department has tested 11 people, but has yet to find avian influenza in Wisconsin.

“The potential [for the virus to come here] is there — it could be next year, it could be tomorrow,” Haupt said. “It’s a hit or miss.”

University Health Services epidemiologist Craig Roberts said the greatest concern about the avian influenza is the possibility of a mutation making it more contagious. If the virus evolved human-to-human transmission, a worldwide pandemic could result. UHS is carefully watching the situation with public health officials all over the world, Roberts said.

“Many students and faculty do a lot of international travel and so there is always the concern that outbreaks of disease that are occurring elsewhere in the world could end up back in Madison very quickly,” Roberts said.

United States health departments, including UHS, have developed contingency plans to deal with large outbreaks of the disease, according to Roberts.

“We are working to determine how we would offer a new vaccine to 40,000 students should that become necessary,” he added.

While the United States does not currently have a specific vaccine against avian influenza, clinical trials sponsored by the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Disease are now underway for a specific immunization. Nearly 2.3 million doses of an antiviral, Tamiflu, are also currently on stock.