King, Webber retain city seats

[media-credit name=’DEREK MONTGOMERY/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]kingaustin_dm_416[/media-credit]With polls closing at 8 p.m. Tuesday night, Madison’s spring elections found Ald. Austin King, District 8, and Ald. Robbie Webber, District 5, victorious in their City Council seats.

“I’m thrilled with the results,” King said. “[The election] was a landslide.”

Kami Eshraghi, owner of the Kimia Lounge, received less than 25 percent of the votes in the District 8 City Council race. King said he was not surprised by the results of the election and that he predicted to win 75 percent of the vote.

Webber also said she was not surprised by the results.

“I’m very happy about my win and the outcome of tonight,” Webber said.

Opposed by University of Wisconsin graduate student Ben Moga, Webber won the election with approximately 60 percent of the vote. Moga did not return any calls.

Following their victories, Webber and King have many plans for their new terms.

While King said he plans to focus on many issues, including election reform, Webber said she plans to focus on land use and transportation issues.

With Webber and King both celebrating their victories at the Orpheum Tuesday night, both representatives expressed their commitment to UW students and the campus.

“I couldn’t be happier that I’ll be able to represent the campus area for another two years,” King said.

Although Webber said she was pleased with her victory, she expressed concern about low voter turnout.

“I think students don’t think that what happens at the city level affects them, but it does,” Webber said.

King agreed with Webber, adding he and his volunteers worked hard to increase voter turnout.

“It’s disappointing,” King said. “I wish that we had 80 percent turnout in the spring like in the fall [election].”

According to Eshraghi, approximately 500 people voted in the District 8 elections.

“I think people are just not connected,” Eshraghi said. “People see their vote doesn’t count or doesn’t make a difference.”

However, Webber said she believes student opinions are valuable to representatives and believes much can be done to increase voter turnout.

Webber plans to organize several forums and listening sessions for students. Students will be able to express their concerns about voting and learn how to be involved in the political process, according to Webber.

Webber said students must pay attention to city politics because they will directly affect them. According to Webber, students can have a say in alcohol policies, minimum wage and rent prices by contacting their representatives.

“[Students] do have a voice, especially at the city level,” Webber said. “[Madison] is going to be their home for four years and what happens at the city level will affect many aspects of their life.”

Eshraghi, while disappointed with his loss, said he ran out of civic duty.

“No one was willing to step forward [and run against King],” Eshraghi said. “I think people need to start participating in politics and now I’ve done my share.”

Like Webber and King, Eshraghi emphasized the need for student participation.

“Students are worried about [their] education and not politics,” Eshraghi said. “But today, [politics] affects us all.”