ASM denies 26 requests for extra segregated fees

Representatives from various University of Wisconsin clubs, organizations and sports teams offered a variety of proposals to the Reserve Board of the Associated Students of Madison for the allocation of the projected $1.2 million in spare segregated fee funding Monday night.

Twenty-eight proposals were submitted to ASM, 23 of which had representatives speak in front of the board. Twenty-six of the requesting groups were denied funding.

The board agreed the two projects that fit the criteria were the Academic Affairs Committee for a pilot textbook rental program and the ASM Student Print program to open a second shop on the west side of campus.

ASM Finance Chair Barb Kiernoziak spoke in favor of the textbook program.

“This program would benefit every student because every student needs to buy books,” Kiernoziak said.

SSFC Vice Chair Kevin Otten said he was in favor of the student print program.

“It is an issue if [student print] has depleted funds, and it definitely benefits the whole campus,” Otten said.

Representatives from both groups had the opportunity to give another 10-minute presentation in front of the board to support their applications.

According the proposal for the textbook program, cheaper textbooks are necessary because tuition continues to rise and the price of textbooks have increased to more than four times the inflation rate of all finished goods.

Their plan is to begin by buying textbooks for two large introductory courses, rent them out to students and eventually expand the program into more courses.

The Student Print proposal said a second office would be more convenient for students on the west side of campus. This office would help students with printing and copying needs and would sell course packets to students. According to their timetable, they would to open the new office in July.

Student Services Finance Committee Chair Janell Wise said the board was not obligated to disperse the funds to everyone, but they would review each application. She added the variety of proposals was not surprising.

“There were a lot of different ideas, but we were expecting it. My only concern is many ideas are not meeting the criteria,” Wise said.

ASM members decided on specific criteria at an earlier meeting to decide how to allocate the funds.

“[The proposal] needs to be critical and further the interest of the whole campus,” Wise said. “I am worried that some help a specific individual or organization.”

After hearing the proposals, the board went through each application individually to decide whether or not it benefited the whole student body and was of urgent need.

The Reserve Board will vote on two groups’ funding allocations tonight. Wise said if the board decides not to allocate money to these proposals, other options still exist for the money.

“We could decide to refund the money to the students, subsidize tuition increases or any members of the board could present ideas,” Wise said.

Some groups turned down for reserve funding included the UW cycling team, Students of Sustainable Agriculture, the UW Kendo Club and the Men’s Ultimate Frisbee Team.