Arts center changes Madison economy

This is the fourth part of a series examining the growth, variety and constant change occurring on Madison’s State Street.

Since its opening Sept. 18, the Overture Center has not only made a big splash on the performing arts world, but also on the business front of downtown Madison.

Henry Doan, manager of the Orpheum Theatre on State Street, said that whenever there is an event at the Overture Center, business almost triples. Doan also said he is hopeful the increased business will continue.

“I think [Overture] is definitely going to help our business,” Doan said.

Doan added he does not think the arts center will affect the performance business at the Orpheum.

“I don’t think they would ever take away from our performances, but it might be too early to tell,” Doan said. “I think the Overture Center is pretty impressive myself.”

Tina Frailey, a publicist for Overture, said the money local businessman Jerry Frautschi donated for the center was a gift to the arts community in Madison. He gave $205 million to accommodate the growth of art in the city and also to provide growth for local businesses downtown.

The spring line-up of performances is appealing, according to Frailey, with a number of big-name productions performing soon.

“We have the ‘Phantom of the Opera’ during January,” Frailey said. “Then we have the ‘Full Monty’ in March, and ‘The Producers’ in the beginning of May.”

The Overture Center, when fully completed in spring 2006, will boast six mid-sized playhouses. The former Oscar Mayer Theatre, still under construction, will be renamed Capital Theatre and will hold 1,000 persons once finished.

“We are committed to having a wide range of shows,” Frailey said. “We want to have something for everyone.”

The Overture Center also has three art galleries, free to the public, that showcase local Madison artists.

“During our opening we had about 65,000 people,” Frailey said. “Now we just want them to come back again and again.”

While the Overture Center does not offer students discounted tickets, she said it is possible to get deals on short-term tickets.

“Many of our shows have rush tickets available the day of the show,” Frailey said, “But the best way is to do it in person, show up at the ticket window the day of, and I’m sure you would be able to find great seats.”

While many Madison residents have yet to visit the Overture Center, Frailey is confident for the upcoming spring season.