Groups raise concerns over dismantling of position

[media-credit name=’Ben Smidt’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]WileyASM_BS_400[/media-credit]Chancellor John Wiley, Provost Peter Spear and Associate Vice Chancellor Bernice Durand met with the representatives from several UW student organizations Monday afternoon to respond to the students’ concerns regarding the dismantling of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs position following the resignation of Paul Barrows Nov. 4.

The removal of the department raised some concerns among students, especially regarding the issue of diversity on campus, which was overseen by Barrows.

“With the whole restructuring of VCSA, the diversity issue is affected in some ways,” Marla Delgado, an executive staff of the MultiCultural Student Coalition, said.

The student affairs department oversaw many initiatives for improving campus diversity, such as the Plan 2008, leadership and community-building opportunities for students of color and orientations for minority students intended to improve the campus climate.

“We are concerned about what will happen to the diversity initiatives that were housed under VCSA,” Roberto Paredes, a UW senior representing the MCSC, said. “Who will have the time to get all those [jobs] done without Paul Barrows?”

In response to this question, Chancellor Wiley said the dismantling of VCSA will not bring many changes to the diversity programs mentioned by the students.

“[VCSA] is a fairly novel organization. We did not have any position like that before [Barrows]. It was an experiment and it was created to serve specific purposes,” Wiley said. “All the programs can be done within the provost’s office … Plan 2008, for example, was jointly managed by the academic [services].”

Provost Peter Spear also said that no change will come from the dismantling.

“Our commitment remains every bit as strong as it has been,” he said. “All of those programs have been moved to other places, which is where they were before the VCSA was created.”

Turika Pulian, a UW student who was not satisfied with the chancellor’s response, compared the restructuring metaphorically to Wiley giving students cake.

“The cake looks good … all of his explanations sound great, but how can we eat a cake [when] we do not know what the ingredients are?” she said. “I can eat Paul Barrows’ cake because he has been working with us for 15 years. I do not know [Dean of Students] Luoluo Hong; I may be allergic to her just like I am allergic to cinnamon.”

Students present also noted that the chancellor did not notify the students about the restructuring and did not involve students in the decision-making process.

“I am disappointed that the chancellor made a decision without consulting with the students, and it is too late now,” Paredes said.

Wiley said it was his right to make this university’s system more workable and he will take the responsibility of the decision that he made.

“Why don’t you have their first bite of the cake and see how it tastes? Invite us back in a few months and we will talk about it again,” he said.

Paredes added he was satisfied with the UW officials’ response to their complaints.

“I am glad that [the chancellor and the provost] are willing to listen to us,” he said. “This dialogue is important to improve the campus climate, in this case, the UW campus.”