Committee pushes back lock order

The Madison Housing Committee met Wednesday night to discuss a city ordinance requiring landlords to update their locking mechanisms within 180 days. The proposal was referred back for the second time to the housing subcommittee for further modification.

The proposed ordinance calls for all properties with two or more housing units to install positive-locking guarded-latches with an approved self-closing device, as well as the placement of locks to all common area interior doors, shared laundry and storage areas. It would also require housing to be equipped with doorbells, intercoms or effective buzzer systems.

Steve Brown, President of the Apartment Association of South Central Wisconsin and major downtown property owner, recommended adjustments to the previous draft of the ordinance. Brown presented the committee with concerns of area landlords including the high price of implementing particular types of locking systems, which could significantly increase operating costs.

“Our research shows there are many options to comply,” Brown told the committee.

According to Brown, up to 40 percent of area buildings may already meet the new standards and the association plans to place stickers on the inside of doors reminding tenants to lock and close their doors for their own safety.

Michael Greiber of Madison Property Management expressed the concern of lost convenience for tenants, most notably in Fraternity Housing and mixed-use buildings.

“Closers throughout the building may be going a little bit far,” Greiber said.

Becky Anderson, a local landlord and a founding member of the Madison Landlord Legislative Council, noted many older buildings could be unsuited for specific changes that may be required by the ordinance.

Anderson explained she owns a forty-seven unit property, and the addition of the new security features will cost her thousands of dollars. Rather than placing closers on laundry room doors, Anderson said adding lights to such areas would be a safer alternative than requiring closers, since tenants often hold the doors open with a chair and in turn create a safety issue.

Ald. Judy Olson, District 6, said the new security features must include an intercom or notification feature.

“It’s not our intention to require people to [simply to] have buzzer systems,” Olson said. “It just seems to make sense to us that if you’re going to have locked doors, you need some type of ringing system.”

Olson added that this new ordinance would feature work to educate tenants on keeping their residence safe.

“I don’t think anybody is against safety and locks,” Anderson said. “I think this ordinance needs to be defined better than it is right now.”