City, UW hoping for safe Halloween

[media-credit name=’Ben Smidt’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Halloween2_use_BS_400[/media-credit]City and campus officials are confident the upcoming Halloween weekend will steer clear of the examples past celebrations have set.

During a press conference Wednesday at the Memorial Union, The Associated Students of Madison, the business district, the city of Madison, the Greek system and the University of Wisconsin confirmed extensive plans for Halloween.

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz said he hoped the activities planned by ASM in accordance with city officials would help create a positive downtown atmosphere.

“I’m cautiously optimistic it will be a good, safe Halloween,” Cieslewicz said.

Cieslewicz also said the destruction from last year’s Halloween riot was mainly caused by out-of-towners. This year he said he is confident UW students will do their part to step up and set a positive example.

A $15,000 donation from UW will feed hungry partygoers on Library Mall from 11 p.m. to approximately 3 a.m. Saturday and early Sunday morning, when Cieslewicz said the party should end. The menu includes food from Casa Bianca’s and Topper’s Pizza.

“The food is mainly for hungry partiers walking up and down the street,” Kristina Mueller, ASM 2004 Halloween committee chair, said. “We aren’t really anticipating feeding people when they come out of the bars, the party will be over by then.”

The university also donated an extra $2,000 to promote family activities planned during the day.

Hayrides, trick-or-treating and a costume contest will take place Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nighttime events for the older crowd include a costume contest, with a $5 entry fee, and prizes for the contestants.

“We hope that by creating this kind of atmosphere on State Street during the day we will be able to tame down the mood for later on that night,” Mueller said.

All UW students will receive an e-mail Friday from LuoLuo Hong, Dean of Students. The e-mail will remind students to be mindful of the downtown and to respect the city.

Halloween weekend is still the biggest moneymaking weekend for the city, despite past vandalism.

“Halloween on State Street was actually created by student government,” Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said. “It is only right that they would step in and make Halloween safer so that it can continue in the future.”

Mueller, who has been involved with the Halloween planning since December, said the community has come together to create strong alliances heading into the weekend.

“We are confident that with the extensive planning that has taken place, including the invaluable contribution from students, we will be able to make this event a success for everyone involved,” Mueller said in a release.

Speakers at the conference expressed high hopes for a successful and safe weekend.

“We know how to party,” Verveer said jokingly. “And we know how to party safe and smart. This weekend is scary, but it doesn’t have to be scary.”