Halloween group plans daytime events

[media-credit name=’Ben Smidt’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]HalloweenPlans_BS_400[/media-credit]The 2004 Halloween Planning Group adopted a proposal Monday to have costume contests and chicken dances as part of this year’s Halloween festivities on State Street.

The group adopted the plan, which also includes events during the day for families and evening events for adults, thanks to a proposal by the Associated Students of Madison.

“ASM has refined their proposal substantially and [has] come up with what I think is a very solid proposal,” said Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4. “I am pleased to announce that ASM’s proposal was accepted by the Halloween committee.”

ASM must still obtain a permit from the city to use Library Mall, but Verveer said obtaining the permit should not be a problem because police and city officials are in favor of the plan.

“It’s something that will provide a positive activity and create a fun, festive environment,” said Matt Rink, summer chair for the ASM’s Halloween 2004 campaign.

ASM worked with the police and city officials because it wanted to keep the event safe.

“We did not want to see Halloween be ruined for all the students because of a few,” Rink said.

Cartoon Network and Simpsons characters will gather on Library Mall Oct. 30, greeting children from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Hayrides and costume contests for kids will also be included in the afternoon.

Beginning at 9 p.m., there will be a college costume contest with a $1,000 grand prize. Live DJs will replace last year’s live bands, and “Jump Around” and “Varsity” will be played during the evening.

“The police department was opposed to having bands,” Verveer said, “but they are willing to compromise and allow DJs.”

The proposal also outlines plans for breaking the world record for the largest chicken dance. The current record in the Guinness Book of World Records is 72,000.

ASM also hopes to set up a sound system that will travel throughout State Street instead of just Library Mall. Plans for the PA system have not been finalized.

Several restaurants and bars have expressed interest in staying open past bar time to help control the late-night crowds. The businesses will not be allowed to serve alcohol past 2:30 a.m., Verveer said.

“It’s a beneficial thing for the restaurants because they can sell more,” said Jill Lundberg, business improvement district manager for Downtown Madison, Inc.

Despite the temptations of extra cash, the main concern for the State Street businesses on Halloween remains the safety of their employees and their buildings, she added.

“We will be working with [the participating businesses] one-on-one and letting them know about some safety precautions the police are working on,” Lundberg said.

State Street Brats, Pizzeria Uno and Kabul Restaurant have already agreed to stay open past bar time, Lundberg said.

The Halloween Committee also addressed the lack of restrooms available in the State Street area during the festivities. To help with the problem, the University of Wisconsin has agreed to donate several portable toilets to be placed along State Street, Verveer said.

“The city and the university are renting a large lighting truck that will be located at the University Inn parking lot, which was ground zero for the riots for the last two years,” Verveer said.

The plan is to turn on the lights at 3 a.m. when the Halloween party officially ends, he said, adding that the lights can turn on sooner if needed.

The hotel will be closed to guests this year, Verveer said. Instead, it will be used as a headquarters for police officers.

“The great thing about the initiatives is that there are all types of different people coming together to discuss the issues,” Lundberg said. “There is definitely this effort and energy about coming together to plan a safe event.”