Search for new UW System president continues

Following University of Wisconsin System president Katharine Lyall’s retirement announcement in February, the Board of Regents continues to search for a new University of Wisconsin System president, and is yet to winnow down the field.

“The search committee is still receiving applications for the position, but hasn’t done any narrowing of candidates,” UW System Board of Regents president Toby Markovich said. “It’s too early in the process to make any definite statements.”

A website was set up to offer information addressing all aspects of the search, which is found at the UW System website.

The next president will be a person who has a “passion for educating students, an appreciation and respect of faculty and staff, an understanding of the importance of external resources and a commitment to the citizens of Wisconsin,” according to the website.

Markovich announced in March the appointment of an 18-body presidential search committee that is a diverse selection of UW System members.

Search committee members include UW Provost Peter Spear, UW-Stout student government President David Hay, Regent Jesus Salas of Milwaukee and UW-La Crosse political science professor Joseph Heim.

Markovich said he hopes the committee can appoint a new president by June 30. Lyall said she will remain in her position until her replacement arrives, or until Sept. 1 at the latest.

“One would hope we meet the deadline,” UW System director of communications Doug Bradley said. “Until we miss the deadline, we remain hopeful.”

Markovich said he hopes the search committee reaches its deadline, but he will not be stressing the June 30 date.

“June 30 is not a true deadline per se,” Markovich said. “I hope we can get somebody on board before Katherine Lyall leaves in September so she can show the person the ropes and what it’s all about.”

ASM Student Council Chair Austin Evans said he is appreciative of Lyall’s 14-year tenure as UW System president, but is also anticipating a fresh face.

“I’m sad to see her go, because she has done so much, especially with the budget cuts last year,” Evans said. “But I’m looking forward to a new leader and new ideas too. Of course it’s important to make sure that the UW continues to get the support it needs from the state.”

The search committee is scheduled to begin confidential interviews of candidates in early June, and the candidates will also undergo an extensive background check. By the middle of June, the names of the presidential finalists will be released to the general public. Regent President Markovich will call a special Board of Regents meeting in late June to confirm the appointment of the selected candidate, who will be announced June 30.

Twenty-six campuses make up the UW System, which serves more than 160,000 students a year, and is the eighth-largest university system in the United States.

The Board of Regents oversees the UW System and is appointed by the governor. The Board of Regents sets each “university’s academic and admission policies, capital programs, personnel policies and budget,” according to the UW System website.