Mason pleads guilty

University of Wisconsin wide receiver Ernest Mason appeared in court Monday and pleaded guilty to four of the six charges he faces. Mason has been arrested twice, once in December and more recently in the beginning of April, concerning violent confrontations with his girlfriend.

Mason pleaded guilty Monday to battery, intimidating a victim and bail jumping, all of which happened in April, and a disorderly conduct charge from December, all misdemeanors.

Mason was charged with battery, intimidating a victim, disorderly conduct and bail jumping. He did not plead guilty to a second disorderly conduct charge that occurred in April.

Mason has been suspended from the football team indefinitely, university spokesperson Steve Malchow said.

“He is currently suspended,” Malchow said. “He is not kicked off the team.”

Malchow said the university cannot comment every time an athlete is in trouble or every time an athlete makes a court appearance.

Mason was arrested April 1 outside The Regent apartment complex after getting into a fight with his girlfriend, whom he was also accused of assaulting in December.

According to the police report, Mason and his girlfriend began to argue when Mason grabbed her cell phone and smashed it. The argument continued outside the apartment when the woman fell to the ground, hitting her head.

Mason and his girlfriend engaged in another fight Dec. 2 when he allegedly assaulted her, locked her in a trash room and then threatened to hurt her if she called police.

After the first incident, Mason was ordered to have no contact with his girlfriend and was suspended due to the student-athlete discipline policy.

Mason appealed the suspension, however, and was reinstated and allowed to practice and play in the Music City Bowl.

Mason, 18, is a wide receiver and kick returner from Dunbar, Texas. Mason caught one pass for 19 yards and averaged 15.3 yards per kickoff return in his first season as a Badger.