Canadian dorms to be built overlooking nude beach

The University of British Columbia at Vancouver has approved the concept design of a new dorm which would be located on the cliffs overlooking Wreck Beach. However, the beach is known more for bare bottoms than bikinis, standing as a famous nudist beach.

The construction of the 20-story dorm has involved the residents of Wreck Beach, a nudist beach located near the site of the potential residence buildings.

The Wreck Beach Preservation Society is one of the most vocal groups involved in ensuring that UBC’s new dorm will not compromise the environment or beach-goers.

“The [WBPS’s] mandate since January 25, 1977 has been to preserve the Wreck Beach area in as nearly a natural state as possible,” WBPS states on its website.

WBPS also provides an etiquette guide for those who wish to visit Wreck Beach.

“Get nude! Respect nudity and the privacy of others and experience the joys of naturism! Gawking, staring or making rude comments is not appreciated! If nudity offends you, please check out Vancouver’s many other beautiful beaches instead of mocking our naturist lifestyle,” the guide states.

While UBC contemplates the new dorm, the University of Wisconsin is in the planning process for new housing facilities on campus as well. UW will be constructing new dorms in the near future at three locations — the corner of Park Street and Dayton Street, on Park Street across the railroad tracks and in University Square.

“We consider location, food service, proximity to classes and the neighborhood community when evaluating potential residence hall sites,” Director of University Housing Paul Evans said. “UW won’t ever be concerned that our dorms are close to a nudist beach.” Evans also compared the UBC-Wreck Beach events to an episode of Comedy Central.

University of Wisconsin residents expressed a variety of thoughts about the potential UBC dorms.

“If UW had dorms by a nudist beach, I don’t see a problem with it,” UW freshman Sushrut Shivram said. “If I had the option, sure, I would live there.”

Chadbourne resident Dorise Gruber said while she is not uncomfortable with nudity, she would not live in a dorm specifically because it overlooked a nudist beach.

“I don’t think [a nudist beach] would either encourage nor deter me from wanting to live in a dorm. Other factors would be more important to me, like having the beach view, location and programs within the dorm,” Gruber, a UW sophomore, said. “You go to a nudist beach to be nude in public anyway, right? So why care.”

UW-Whitewater sophomore and Tutt Hall resident Rachel Johnson said UBC should look into other location options.

“I definitely would not want to be overlooking a nudist beach,” Johnson said. “Personally, I find that repulsive.”

Johnson said location played a factor in her decision on where to live, as she did not want to be too far away from campus.

The Princeton Review does an annual ranking of university dorms. Loyola College, in Maryland, was rated number one in its “Dorms Like Palaces” category, while the University of Missouri-Rolla was rated number one in the “Dorms Like Dungeons” category.

While UW’s dorms did not earn a spot in this year’s Princeton Review, the personality of the dorm itself can affect a student’s decision.

“I came for my tour, and when we got to [Chadbourne Residential Hall], the people inside the dorm started screaming out the window ‘Wooooo! Chadbourne is awesome! Chad rocks!'” Gruber said. “So I was like, those people seem like they’re having fun; I should live there.”