Student-athlete discipline policy sets new punishment standards

The recent arrest of University of Wisconsin wide receiver Ernest Mason marks the fourth violation of the student-athlete discipline policy since it went into effect last August.

Jury selection for Mason’s December incident is set to begin May 3. He is scheduled to appear in a pre-trial conference for his most recent misdemeanor charges April 29.

Basketball player Maurice “Boo” Wade, 20, and running back Dwayne Smith, 19, have also faced criminal charges since the policy’s inception.
While many say student-athletes who are alleged to have committed a crime often go unpunished by their respective teams, the recently implemented discipline policy has been praised nationally for its uniform, objective standards.
“It’s important to note that [the administration] think[s] it’s done some good things,” Associate Athletic Director Steve Malchow said. “All of the athletic departments in the Big 10 have asked for copies of our [discipline] program.”

Mason, 19, was arrested April 1 outside The Regent. He has been charged with four misdemeanors for battery, intimidating a victim, disorderly conduct and bail jumping. The arrest is Mason’s second offense in less than six months.
After his first offense Dec. 2, Mason was immediately suspended from the team as mandated by the athletic department’s student-athlete discipline policy. According to the policy, a student-athlete has 72 hours to appeal a suspension. Mason appealed his punishment Dec. 4, the day before the team was set to begin practice for the Music City Bowl, and was immediately reinstated.
Formerly, coaches of a player’s team determined discipline. This made it possible for coaches to punish on the basis of the athlete’s value to the team.
“Prior to this uniform policy, students in different sports were subject to different rules and policies,” Chancellor John Wiley wrote via e-mail. “Now everyone knows what to expect and knows that they are all treated the same.”

UW’s new program, which was developed by the Athletic Department Administration, the Athletic Board and the Chancellor’s Office, ensures the same standards are applied to all student-athletes facing criminal allegations. Any student-athlete arrested for breaking a law involving drugs, violence or gambling is automatically suspended.

Athletes have 72 hours to appeal their suspension before a five-member Appeals Committee consisting of the Athletic Director, Chair of the Athletic Board, a Senior Staff member of the athletic department, a head coach and a member of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee. The committee then votes whether to uphold, modify or remove the athlete’s suspension.
“Everyone should keep in mind that the policy kicks in as soon as there are allegations and before those allegations have been adjudicated or even very deeply investigated,” Wiley wrote. “In other words, people need to keep in mind that charges or allegations are not the same thing as proof or convictions, and that ‘the other side of the story’ may come out later.”
Although the discipline program has been commended by every athletic department in the Big 10 and was featured in the September issue of Sports Illustrated, it will not necessarily serve as a guaranteed deterrent mechanism for misbehavior.
“Any student is ultimately responsible for his own actions,” said David Harris, Director of Student-Athlete Academic Services. “Certainly the coaches, administration and chancellor can set standards for what’s good or not, but it ultimately depends on the student.”