Ad campaign supports Bishop Burke

>In commemorating the 31st anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision legalizing abortion, the American Life League ran a nationwide ad campaign supporting former La Crosse diocese Bishop Raymond Burke’s decree against giving Holy Communion to Catholic lawmakers supporting pro-choice policies.

Burke issued a formal decree early this year ordering Catholic politicians who support pro-choice policies to be prohibited from receiving the sacrament. Burke called for priests both in his La Crosse diocese as well as nationwide to refuse any pro-choice Catholic legislators from receiving communion until the individuals publicly renounce their support of pro-choice policies.

The League published the ad, named “The Way of La Crosse” and featured Burke’s decree, in newspapers across the country.

The advertisement also seeks to target several Catholic politicians who support pro-choice policies, labeling them as “The Deadly Dozen.” Prominent political figures, such as Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa and Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., are listed in the campaign. The ad attacks these politicians, claiming their politics disregard human life.

According to the Director of American Life League’s Crusade Joseph Starrs, the national politicians “wear their support of legalized abortion on their sleeves and are indeed proud of it. They have made the disregard for the innocence of human life in the womb a central theme in their political and legislative agendas.”

State Director of Pro-Life Wisconsin, Peggy Hamill, praised the efforts of those involved in the ad campaign and most particularly the stance taken by Burke.

“For some time there has been a call for religious leaders to hold legislatures accountable for their actions. Pro-Life Wisconsin praises the exemplary actions of Archbishop Burke and wish to hold him in the highest esteem with hopes that those others will follow suit,” Hamill said.

Hamill pointed to Gov. Jim Doyle as a key Wisconsin political figure serving as a barrier to the anti-abortion movement.

Opponents to the stance taken by Archbishop Burke claim his decree violates the separation of church and state and argue that the issue of abortion is a decision of conscience.

“This campaign crosses the line to coerce any individual to vote a certain way under intense pressures from religious figures,” Vice President of Public Affairs at Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin Lisa Boyce said.

Boyce opposes the goal of the American Life League, pointing to the principles of democracy and the right of the U.S. citizen to demand special representation not tainted by a religious agenda.

“Legislatures should not vote by religious doctrine, because they are representatives of a diverse constituency, and if personal virtues get in the way of the people they represent, then they are no longer doing what they were called to do,” Boyce said.

Burke’s decree was issued at a time of increased efforts to gather united Catholic and pro-life beliefs to fight politicians voting to support pro-choice policies. The efforts stem from the Catholic Church’s condemnation of political support for keeping abortion legal.