Business owners discuss effects of casino expansion

NO PHOTO

By

The possible expansion of Ho-Chunk Nation’s DeJope will likely have an effect on Madison’s downtown economy, and some local businesses are worried a new casino may hurt downtown business by hoarding people’s entertainment dollars.

The facility is currently a bingo hall, and the possible expansion would include blackjack, slots, craps, roulette, poker and pari-mutuel betting. It is proposed that the facility would bring in $45 million to Dane County over the next 13 years.

In order for the new casino to be built, it must win a public vote Feb. 17 and the Dane County Board of Supervisors must approve an agreement between Dane County and the Ho-Chunk Nation regarding the terms of the facility.

State Street Brats manager Kelly Meuer said he believes the casino will hurt Madison and the downtown area.

“Casinos, in my mind, make things so people have no reason to leave. There are no clocks; they bring you food and drinks,” Meuer said.

According to Meuer, the new facility will not help downtown at all. He said it might hurt it because people in casinos won’t feel a need to branch out and won’t spend time downtown because they will be too busy at the casino. Meuer also said politicians can’t look past the money that is promised with the expansion of the casino.

“They are like moths to the flame,” Meuer said.

Meuer also said he did not think the new money being brought into the county would lower taxes very much. He said he doesn’t know what the money will be spent on, but in the end he doesn’t think property taxes will go down substantially.

However, Ryan Lembke, bar manager of Buffalo Wild Wings, said he thinks the casino could potentially help downtown businesses.

“When people go out on the weekend to the casino, they can stop downtown for food or a couple of drinks,” Lembke said.

City Council President Mike Verveer said he is also concerned with what impacts the casino will have.

“I am concerned that a new casino in Madison will have adverse affects on some types of businesses in town,” Verveer said. “I am specifically worried about small mom-and-pop businesses that are in the entertainment industry.”

Verveer said small local businesses like taverns, nightclubs and restaurants will have to compete with the casino for people’s entertainment dollars. He also thinks that if the casino is approved, it will only be a matter of time before hotels, entertainment venues and conference centers begin construction around the casino.

He said the tribe will have more than just gambling at the venue because it does not have to pay taxes on many things and therefore can make more money off goods like tobacco and gasoline.

Verveer added that a casino is not right for Madison because the drive to Ho-Chunk Casino in Baraboo is not long.

“It’s not what the city of Madison needs right now, and it’s not what should be the gateway to our city on highway 90,” Veveer said.

However, Verveer said he did not see the passing of the casino as the end of the world and anticipates a close vote.

“It is quite possible it will happen, and if it does, we will make do and survive. It is not the end of the world.”