Panel meets to discuss Halloween

A panel met Monday night at Memorial Union to discuss the coming Halloween weekend and the crowds associated with it on State Street.

In light of the problem last year when the police department chose the wrong night to overstaff with officers, the Madison Police Department said it will be ready Thursday through Saturday night to handle partygoers.

To deal with crowds often ranging in size from 70,000 to 100,000 participants, the Madison Police Department will staff 85 officers for both Friday and Saturday nights. The personnel costs to the city are estimated at $74,000. University Police, Dane County Police, and Wisconsin state troopers will also be assisting at no cost to the city.

State troopers have assisted in devising an elaborate detour plan to deal with the construction on Johnson Street and to keep traffic away from pedestrians. Starting at 8:30 both Friday and Saturday nights, there will be no way for traffic to get close to State Street.

As a safety measurein the event a riot does occur, State Street has been declared a glass-free zone for both Friday and Saturday nights. Many bars have also agreed not to distribute alcohol in glass containers for the evenings. A few Madison liquor stores have cooperated with the panel and agreed not to sell alcohol in glass bottles from Wednesday through Sunday. The fine for possessing a glass container is $102. As always, open intoxicants will also not be allowed.

Bike racks will be removed on Thursday, and businesses with outdoor seating have been asked to remove their setups by 7 p.m. Thursday and again by 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday.

As an alternative option for students, a stage with four live bands will be set-up Saturday night on Library Mall from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m. UW student and downtown resident Dan Hudson organized the event, which also includes a costume contest with a guitar and a “Simpsons” prize pack as awards.

UW football captains Lee Evans and Jeff Mack were also on hand to offer their advice to students.

“Have fun with it, have fun the right way,” Evans said.

“Be safe; we have to take care of each other,” Mack added.

Assistant Dean of Students Lori Berquam stressed that students should behave with respect.

“Be respectful; the pride you feel for the UW should be the pride you feel for the community,” Berquam said.

The panel, which consists of Madison Police officers, Assistant Dean of Students Lori Berquam, and Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, started meeting last spring to discuss strategies to prevent a scene like the riots that occurred last year.

“We made the decision early on in our community-planning group to embrace this inevitable Madison tradition,” said Verveer.

“We all have the same goal: to have a safe and fun event,” said Capt. John Davenport of the Madison Police Department. “This year we have a good plan for all of the nights.”