Willy Street Co-op turns 30

A longtime anchor in the Williamson Street neighborhood, the Willy Street Co-op will celebrate its 30th birthday the weekend of Oct. 24.

“The co-op is significant because it just celebrated it 30th birthday. There were tough times and good times, but the membership has been supportive since day one,” Willy St. Co-op General Manger Anya Firszt said.

According to Firszt, the co-op has grown in its 30 years to house 115 employees, more than 10,000 members and earn more than $10 million in sales.

“It is very much a business supported by members,” Friszt said.

The co-op began business in 1973 and since then has held five different locations, Willy St. Co-op Communications Manger Brendon Smith said. The co-op has been located on Williamson Street for 30 years, each time on the 1100 or 1200 block, Friszt said.

According to City Council Ald. Judy Olson, District 6, the co-op is lucky to have found the location that it did. She said the co-op is a business and community anchor for the area.

“Williamson Street is fortunate that the co-op is there, if it didn’t have a major grocery store it wouldn’t be as vital commercially or culturally,” Olson said. “It’s the right business in the right place.”

Smith said the co-op’s board of directors was added in 1979 to help consolidate decision-making.

“The decisions are still made by the members, but the board helps guide them,” Smith said.

Olson said she believes the co-op has prospered due to the involvement of its members.

“It has survived and thrived because it is a co-op in an area where participation is valued,” Olson said.

Friszt credited the founding members with a large role in the co-op.

“The founding members deserve a lot of credit for challenging the system and finding another source for food other than what was conventional,” Friszt said.

In order to commemorate the anniversary, the co-op is having brunch October 25, followed by pumpkin carving and painting activities. The co-op will also give away gift cards for the store ranging from $30-$250 in value.

Alumni employees and board members will be serving birthday cake at 11 a.m. Saturday.

Smith said he is proud of all the co-ops around the area.

“There are a lot of co-ops in Madison, they are all significant because they’re owned by members. They get a say in what goes on, compared to regular stores,” Smith said. “Lots of people wanted organic, so they voted. In a lot of stores that wouldn’t be an option.”

Friszt said she is happy to see more and more co-ops around the city.

“It’s really exciting right now. Other neighborhoods are looking at co-ops as respectable ownership structures to occupy storefronts,” Friszt said.