Madison to host Halloween outdoor concert

Michelle Orris, News Editor

The city of Madison will host a live concert on Library Mall Halloween weekend, in order to disperse the State Street crowds and give students alternative entertainment.

The Street Use Staff Team approved the concert Wednesday, with plans to build a large stage on the mall rather than use the existing podium.

Several bands will play between 6 p.m. and 1 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 1. Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said the city would hire a “nice diversity” of local bands for the show.

A city task force has explored ways to quell the rowdy Halloween mobs and promote a safer atmosphere since last April, in response to the riots last fall.

The specifics of the concert are still subject to final approval.

In addition to alternate entertainment, a larger number of police will patrol the State Street area Friday and Saturday of the holiday weekend.

The Wisconsin State Patrol, the Dane County Sheriff Department and the UW Police have agreed to employ officers to supplement more than 80 Madison cops per night.

The committee is taking other precautions as well, such as trying to minimize the use of glass containers by urging liquor stores to sell cans instead of bottles.

“After Mifflin Street, the road was just covered in a layer of glass, and we want to avoid that,” Madison Police Capt. Luis Yudice said last week.

The Halloween task force is also planning family-oriented events during the day Saturday.