UW prepares for incoming freshmen

As the fall semester gets underway, expect between 5,500 and 5,600 new faces. Despite recent budget cuts that will affect the University of Wisconsin, admission numbers of incoming freshmen are approximately the same as in recent years.

Of the incoming freshmen, 22 to 23 percent will come from out of state. Ten percent will be from Minnesota. The majority of those accepted, as in most years, will be from high schools throughout Wisconsin.

Despite having an estimate, Keith White, director of admissions, said the exact number of freshmen would not be known officially until Sept. 2, when classes start.

“We won’t know the true numbers until the students begin fall classes,” Evans said.

Problems that occurred last year for international students have not abated. According to Evans, many international students trying to receive visas to attend U.S. universities have faced obstacles.

“Visa difficulties that began last year still continue through this year,” Evans said. “We don’t know how many [students] are going to make it through customs.”

In addition, approximately 1,200 students will transfer into UW.

According to Paul Evans of University Housing, approximately 80 percent of freshmen will live in the dormitories. As in most years, some students had to be turned away from University Housing due to limited space.

“We can never house all of the freshmen,” Evans said. “There are still a number of freshmen who live at home and commute to school. There are also some who choose private residence halls or move straight into an apartment.”

New features in the dormitories include a multicultural learning community in Witte Hall, directed by Professor Carl Grant.

A new addition to Adams Hall will be a Spanish community. The hall, which has accepted some freshmen, will be used as a learning tool for students who plan to study abroad, international students or those just interested in living in an international community.