Summer jobs, internships plentiful in lackluster economy

With the lagging state of the nation’s post-9/11 economy, some students are concerned about their chances of finding internships and jobs, but employers at Tuesday’s Spring Biz Jobs Fair said that it’s business as usual.

Representatives from companies including Wells Fargo, Phillip Morris, Walgreens and Maxim Health Care services said their need for qualified employees and interns has not been affected by the economy. Kevin Bilke, of Maxim Health Care Services, said the health care industry will always be in need of employees.

“The economy doesn’t really affect our hiring processes because people are always getting sick and we are always in need of help,” Bilke said.

Despite the reassurance of the employers present, many students noticed a lack of enthusiasm among the employers.

“This is kind of a disaster,” Industrial Engineering major Abhijay Bhatia said. “The Kohl Center is usually full of employers. Of the many career fairs I have been to, this is the worst I have ever seen.”

Another student, who chose to remain anonymous, expressed his concern for the lack of positions currently available.

“I think many companies come to these fairs simply to maintain their good standing with the university, but they don’t really have positions available,” the student said. “I think the economy has had a bad effect on the job market.”

Karen Stauffacher, Director of the Business Career Center, said that the response from employers has been constant. She said students may be having problems because of increasing competition.

“Now that the market is tight, companies can be more selective,” Stauffacher said. “If students want to be competitive, they need to gain experience in their desired field.”

Pamela Payne, an advisor for L&S/Human Ecology Career Services, says that a declining economy may be good or bad for students seeking internship positions.

“When the economy is bad, people may cut down on interns or they may increase internship positions available because they pay [them] less, and they don’t have to take them on as full-time employees,” Payne said. “It can go both ways.”

Payne suggested that students searching for experience keep their minds open to a variety of positions.

“Students want glamorous internships, but there are lots of different types to be had,” Payne said. “It’s important to find a job where you can learn skills that will take you to the next level.”

Although it may be good to apply for a wide variety of internship positions, Bilke suggested that students be very selective when choosing a job after graduation.

“Never settle on your first offer,” Bilke said. “Be prepared for your life to change.”