An active student eyes council seat

Jason Stephany, like many students, leads a busy life. Somewhere in between managing his course load and keeping a steady girlfriend, Stephany has managed to fuel a campaign for city council.

Recently finishing his term as the state chair of the College Democrats, Stephany has worked on campaigns for Tammy Baldwin, Jim Doyle and Kathleen Falk. In 2000 he served as an intern for the Gore presidential campaign.

“Whether or not my views match with others, I am willing to sit down with all groups involved and come to the best decision,” Stephany said. “I am always willing to learn.”

Ald. Tom Powell, District 5, the man Stephany would replace, said that Stephany’s main priority is to get elected and not to deal with the issues.

“All of his experience in politics comes from campaigning,” Powell said. “He is a campaign animal who is running for personal ambition and not because he cares about the issues.”

Stephany said his main concern with issue management is that the city has problems enacting legislation because the council vote is frequently split.

“The council is so divided that nothing is getting done. I think working towards consensus is very important,” Stephany said.

According to Stephany, Madison is in need of a living wage that would be based on economic times.

“Madison is an expensive place to live in. I think there are many employers that would be willing to pay their employees better wages,” Stephany said.

While expressing his concern for safe drinking, Stephany believes that the ban on drink specials has been ineffective.

“The assault on drink specials needs to stop,” Stephany said. “We have seen a major increase in house parties and that sort of unregulated environment is where problems occur.”

Stephany said reforming the structure of the ALRC would help to develop better alternatives to drink-special bans. He also said the city’s liquor licensing policy has been too restrictive in the past.

“I would look forward to serving on the ALRC. The student voice definitely needs to be heard on that committee, as well as many others.”

Stephany noted that although students make up nearly a 1/4 of the population of Madison, they have no representation on the city council.

“My opponent can never claim to have the connection I have to students. I am a student. I have lived in the dorms. I know what it’s like to make ends meet. I am uniquely fitted to represent this district.”

Steven Singh, a College Democrats member, said Stephany has always worked hard for students.

“He is one of those people that keeps going and going,” Singh said. “At the end of the day, when everyone else is going home, Jason is still working. He’s always working.”

Stephany and fellow District 5 candidate Robbie Webber will debate Thursday in the Memorial Union at 7 p.m.