Students react to war after spring break

With war beginning in Iraq and the threat of attacks on airlines, protests and orange alert, it seems as though spring break might not have been as restful as hoped. Returning students were asked just how they felt about the issues facing them today.

Freshman Jon James didn’t mix words when asked about the war. “I approve of the actions taken by the United States, and I believe they are necessary,” he said. When questioned about the recent allegations that a Marine may have been detained in a fragging incident at his camp, James said, “That’s just casualties of war. Mistakes will happen. It’s our responsibility to lose some lives in order to save the Iraqi people from tyrannical rule.”

Freshman Kendall Garrison agreed — to a point. “I think Sadam is a tyrant that needs to be removed. But I think we should have gone down the line of our allies and gotten some support first. It would have done a lot to ease public tension if we would have had some evidence.”

Garrison added, “I’d hate to be a soldier over there right now with people here not supporting what you’re there for.”

However, the bombings — and especially the fragging incident — concerned junior Lisa Barnes. “This kind of death is a consequence of a war that’s not just,” she said. “I feel bad that so many people are dying for imperialism and oil.”

Freshman Kate Losey agreed with Barnes.

“The war in Iraq is very disgusting. It makes me sick,” said Losey, who had just returned from Chicago to attend the “Next Day” protest downtown.

“We were afraid of the police,” Losey said, claiming police took unnecessarily brutal retribution against protestors.

Students were also asked of the extent to which they felt refreshed and ready to take on the remaining semester after spring break.

“I think it wore me out more than relaxed me,” said freshman Melissa Sandgren. “I did hear people calling their parents and saying, ‘Watch out.'”

Garrison said he felt rested, but added, “I could go for the year being done right now.”

Barnes agreed that spring break should be longer and said, “I’m still a little more stressed out than rested.”

Perhaps freshman Liz Hawley summed up the majority of students’ thoughts on the remarkable events that occurred during what should have been one of the most fun times of the school year. When asked if she felt ready to rested and ready to return to her studies, Hawley said, “I did until I came back. I’m as tired as when I left, now.”