UW faculty decides if protestors are penalized

University of Wisconsin faculty will each personally decide how to respond to students who missed their classes to attend Wednesday’s Books Not Bombs protest.

John Lucas of University Communications said the choice of penalizing the 2,000 students who skipped class Wednesday is to up to the individual professor or teaching assistant.

“We put it in their hands and let them decide how to handle things,” Lucas said.

An e-mail was distributed last week to deans, directors and department chairs regarding the protest. The e-mail read, “Please follow your normal policies and procedures for class attendance, turning in assignments, exams, etc. on that day.”

David Abbott, a professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the UW, said his 11 a.m. zoology lecture was smaller than usual.

“You could see empty seats when there normally aren’t any,” Abbott said.

Abbott said he discussed the protest with his students Monday and told them where they could find web-based notes for the missed lecture.

Katherine Cramer Walsh of the political science department said the attendance at her 1:20 p.m. political communications class was like any normal day.

Walsh said she had talked with her students and said they are concerned with the potential war with Iraq, and she knew they wanted to represent their position Wednesday.

“I know a lot of the students also want to do well in their classes,” Walsh said.

Chris Dols, a member of the International Socialist Institute, said the goal of the protest was to oppose money going to the military instead of education. Dols said the broader issue of war must be addressed even if it means skipping a couple of classes to make a point.

“There are two kinds of pressure: pressure from above and pressure from below,” Dols said. “It’s the only way we can put a stop to a war.”

UW sophomore Hanna Swanson participated in the protest and said although she wasn’t in class, she was still learning Wednesday.

“We’re here because we are getting an education on what democracy means,” Swanson said. “It is time President Bush listens.”

Other students, including UW sophomore Shannon Smith, valued going to class over Wednesday’s protest.

“We need to take care of terrorists before we can take care of books,” Smith said.

Benjamin Krautkramer, vice president of UW College Republicans, was in class and was pleased to see his fellow classmates were as well.

“At times like this, it’s important to take a stand … and sometimes the best way to do that is to just go to class,” Krautkramer said. “On a day in which students have a built-in excuse to skip school, I was proud to see that so many of my fellow students place such a high value on their education.”

Larry Kamholtz, Madison Police Department police information officer, said 750 high school students from Madison East and West High Schools participated in the protest.

He said educational officers have been working with high school students to teach them proper etiquette at protests.

Joe Quick, a spokesperson for the Madison School District, said members who organized the walkout discussed it beforehand with the principal.

“We met with the students and the students were forthcoming on what the plans were. We ensured safety and order was maintained,” Quick said. “I think the students achieved what they had hoped to. I think they made their point that they were against the war and did it in a respectful manner.”

Madison West High School students were allowed to walk out of classrooms and protest outside the school before walking to Bascom Hill. All students that missed class, however, will receive unexcused absences for the time missed.

Caitlin La Falsh, a student at West High School, said she was pleased the faculty supported the students’ goal.

“I felt a lot of faculty supported it but not necessarily encouraged it,” La Falsh said. “It was a great feeling.”