Largest anti-war rally since Vietnam set for February

Opponents of U.S. action in Iraq say warnings of military actions ruined their hopes of peace. They refer to Secretary of State Colin Powell’s address to the nation following U.N. weapon inspectors’ reports.

“There will be serious consequences for continued Iraqi violation,” Powell said in his address. “We cannot allow the process of investigations to string us out forever.”

Although some area residents and several organizations are strengthening their plea for peace, not all Madison residents or UW students are joining in the protests.

“Their ‘peace at all costs’ attitudes are very naíve. If we were to do as they do, the United States would be in grave danger of attack by terrorists who could get weapons of mass destruction from Saddam,” said Nick Cekosh, chair of the UW College Republicans.

Allen Ruff, an organizer of the Madison Area Peace Coalition, has said, “We’re telling the government we don’t support sending our kids to die for oil or other economic reasons.”

“There are those who say mass rallies have no effect; history says otherwise,” he said.

History, Ruff said, will be put to the test Saturday, Feb. 1, when hundreds are expected to assemble on Library Mall for what the organization hopes will be the largest Wisconsin gathering of peace and anti-war forces since the Vietnam era.

Accommodations have been made for overnight participants, and University of Wisconsin students from all over the state are expected to attend. Other activists expected include Vets for Peace, elementary students, middle-school vocal performers, environmental groups and members of faith-based communities. The MAPC and other frequent demonstrators look forward to joining with other protesters to display their positions.

A protest parade is planned for 11 a.m. in front of Library Mall that will proceed up State Street to the foot of the Capitol. Political satirist David Lippman, followed by nationally known radio talk-show host Amy Goodman, will address the crowd at noon.

Not all Madison residents will be protesting U.S. involvement in Iraq, however. Many say the protesters may not have a clear understanding of the United States’ role in its dealings with Iraq.

Ruff said Madison can use Saturday as an opportunity to “reclaim its tradition of opposition.” Ruff encourages students to become active.

“Approach everything with healthy cynicism. Question authority,” Ruff said.

Ruff suggested student participation in forums, teach-ins and debates for those who could not attend Saturday’s events.

“Students came to Madison for its reputation, but its reputation is only as good as its population,” Ruff said.