Registrar finalists identified

The search for a new registrar at the University of Wisconsin is drawing to a close as four finalists were identified Tuesday by a UW committee.

The committee, headed by assistant vice chancellor for student affairs Tom Scott, included both faculty members and students charged with the task of choosing the final round of contenders for the position.

The registrar’s domain covers a variety of responsibilities pertaining to academic records, such as coordinating registration and keeping track of grading and transcripts. The Registrar’s Office also protects students’ privacy regarding their university records.

The finalists, pulled from universities across the country, will visit the campus before a final decision is made.

Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Paul Barrows expressed his approval of the committee’s work, saying they chose “an outstanding group of finalists.”

“I’m excited to take the search to a new level,” Barrows said in a statement.

The finalists include Joanne Berg, currently working as interim dean at UW-Madison; W. Michael George, associate registrar for student support at Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio; Alice Poehls, registrar and associate dean of admissions and records at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, and Craig Westman, associate dean of enrollment services, director of admissions and university registrar at Ferris State University in Big Rapids, Mich.

The new registrar will fill the spot left by Monty Nielsen, who vacated the position in January.