Republicans elect Panzer majority leader

After seizing control of the Senate in Tuesday’s election, state Republicans elected Sen. Mary Panzer, R-West Bend, as their majority leader.

Sen. Mike Ellis, R-Neenah, nominated Panzer for the position, saying she has shown herself to be a “consensus builder.”

Republicans also elected Sen. Dave Zien, R-Eau Claire, as assistant majority leader, and Sen. Alan Lasee, R-DePere, as Senate president.

Panzer said the Senate Republicans would work on the economy, education and the environment during the next term, which starts in January. Republicans will control the chamber 18-15.

“We are going to do good things in the next two years,” Panzer told the Associated Press. “The bickering has to stop. The leadership has to start.”

Republicans also added seats in the state Assembly after Tuesday’s election.

Current Majority Leader Steve Foti, R-Oconomowoc, said he would not give up his post when the Assembly Republicans meet Tuesday.

Rep. Luther Olson, R-Berlin, is challenging Foti for the position, saying he wants to give Republicans a choice.

Foti was charged last month with one felony count of misconduct in public office as part of the state’s ongoing caucus investigation. Foti allegedly used state workers to campaign on state time — an illegal act.

“Honestly, I know if I was charged with a felony, that’s pretty serious business,” Olson told the Associated Press. “You’ve got to put all your energy into your defense. I think you need to concentrate on that.”

Olson, who said he likes Foti despite his effort to oust Foti from the majority leader position, admitted he may not have enough votes to succeed.