Thompson encouraged despite loss

Despite losing his run for governor, libertarian candidate Ed Thompson expressed happiness Wednesday that he gained 10 percent of all votes cast.

Thompson said this percentage is the highest for a Wisconsin third-party candidate since 1942.

This percentage entitles the libertarian party to nominate a new member to the state Elections Board. Current Wisconsin law allows for any party with 10 percent or more of the vote to nominate a new member to the Board, presently made up of eight members.

At a meeting Wednesday in his Tomah restaurant, Mr. Ed’s Tee Pee Super Club, Thompson commended his supporters for rejecting the traditional two-party political system.

“I . . . want to express my thanks to the countless volunteers and contributors who helped make this campaign the most successful third-party campaign for Wisconsin governor in 60 years,” Thompson said. “This race is just the beginning.”

Thompson drew 158,421 votes in Tuesday’s election.

UW sophomore Jennifer Peterson was one of those who voted for Thompson. Peterson cited her vote as an expression of frustration with the dirty tactics used by the Scott McCallum and Jim Doyle campaigns.

“Those guys turned Wisconsin politics into a circus,” she said. “Thompson seemed to have his head on straighter.”